Schwinn Build II (straight bar)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it's coming along Chris.
I use my rebar hicky to make those bends!

Ray

Hi Chris,

As always you build outstanding Whizzers!!!

Thanks for the information about Memory Lane having some pre- bent pedal cranks.

We are way behind in orders for the new Whizzer automatic clutches. Appears the demand far out weighed the supply. I have one saved for you and will ship in a couple of days. I am hoping to get all the orders for the new clutches current by the end of next week.

Once again....Super build!

Hope to see you at Portland

Have fun,

There's some good news, there's another automatic clutch coming soon. (vintage )

Ray

What's the good news Ray? Are you sending me that clutch for free? Thanks! I'm very happy to finally be getting my auto clutch from Quenton. We talked about it many times and finally decided to get it now. I just came from the post office Quenton so please don't forget to send me a tracking number that I always nag you about! Postal delivery around here is very sketchy and I worry about them leaving expensive items on the porch.
Quenton, as I think I already told you this bike is going to be sporting both front and rear nicely re-chromed Schwinn drum brakes so the auto clutch is essential for the bike. I'm going all out on this build and it will make the Phantom look like a piece of junk! Which by now it is because every inch of the paint has been scraped and gouged. The bike is apart as I prepare it for re-painting. This time I'm using lacquer. I will never use enamel again as it never dries and is just a gummy mess to remove and of course you can't sand it. I'm also making a few changes and could add a auto clutch also.
I've picked up a Persons seat and it's on the way to Bob U in Calf for restoration. I'm very excited about this as I've heard he is on of the best. All chrome on this bike is now either new or being re-chromed now. I just sent a new set of fenders off to J&P Plating in Portland, IN. A guy I work with says they do outstanding work! More Later

Powder Coat

I just got my frame back from powder coat yesterday. It took exactly 1 week and looks beautiful although the pic was taken indoors and doesn't do it justice. For $180 I got the frame, rims and fork legs done. If your doing a bike like this, it's the best thing you can do for it! I don't think you could get a paint job to look this good for the money and it certainly wouldn't be as durable. I don't believe this frame looked this nice in 1952!
3 weeks ago I sent off some parts for chroming and I have a few more weeks to wait. Parts include front and rear fenders, top and bottom motor brackets and clamps, Schwinn drum brake hub and pork chop, Delta battery box cover, springer yoke, gas tank and the front engine mount bar.
Parts already purchased that have been re-chromed or new reproduction include right and left brake levers, handlebars, stem, crank, skip tooth chainring, Schwinn bottom bracket set,seat post, seat post clamp, fork truss rods and rear drum brake hub and pork chop. Sounds like a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_20150422_101926.jpg
    IMG_20150422_101926.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 289
1 down 1 to go

Decided to lace up one of my wheels this morning after work. This is the rear drum brake. The front hub is still at the plater. I always manage to screw up a couple of spokes and have to make a few adjustments. The heavier the spoke the harder to lace. A few of the spokes are a really tight bend so be careful not to scratch your rims. I managed only one really small scratch on this one and you wouldn't be able to see it if you didn't know it was there. These are the lighter .105 spokes
On a sad note, my old friend who trued a few a my rims and sold me some parts like the rack earlier in this build, passed away last month from cancer. I found out yesterday when I went to call him to see about him doing these rims. I'll always think of him and how ****ed he was when he saw I re-did that rack! R.I.P. Kenny

Attachments

• IMG_20150423_132044.jpg
    IMG_20150423_132044.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_20150423_132100.jpg
    IMG_20150423_132100.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 269
Paint

With a few days off and 2 really nice days in a row of nice weather I finally got a chance to get started on the paint. It seems that whenever I paint something I always end up with overspray somewhere no matter how much I mask. So this time while masking I came up with the idea of wrapping the entire rest of the frame with plastic wrap. I'm not claiming I invented this but I've not seen this done before. Some how I think that when I unwrap this I'll still find paint in there somewhere!
I also painted my Delta fender light and a few other odds and ends.The springer fork below is also complete now and everything on it is brand new. I just need to add a heavy duty whizzer spring.
I should be getting this bike together as soon as I get my parts back from chrome. I've purchased a truing stand to do the rims and I should be getting that next Tuesday. Bob U, the guy who's restoring my seat say's it should be done next week and has agreed to supply me with some photos of the work being done,so I will be posting them as I get them. It should be pretty interesting to see. I searched the internet and could not find a single person who restores vintage bicycle saddles. Then I remembered hearing about a guy on the cabe. From what I understand this guy is the best and really knows his stuff. More to come!

Attachments

• IMG_20150502_140748.jpg
    IMG_20150502_140748.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_20150502_153540.jpg
    IMG_20150502_153540.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_20150502_153550.jpg
    IMG_20150502_153550.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_20150502_180903.jpg
    IMG_20150502_180903.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 324
Thanks Wayne. Made a few improvement over the weekend!

Attachments

• old.jpg
    old.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_20150503_191150.jpg
    IMG_20150503_191150.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 264
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back