Safety Safety & Maintainence Tips from MB.c's Members

I hate jeans, if there is no snow, I am pretty much always in shorts. Its also not so comfortable when I've blown exhaust gaskets, but it only stings for a second, lol...Kelly

yeah....felt like a bee sting, the 1st time it happened to me....still wearin cut-offs sorry augi.....haha

i sincerely hope you're never sorry because ya got hurt :)

"dress for disaster"

i notice that this subject had its last post some time in jan ,,,,.7 months ago there is some good advice on safety from members and new members should take time to read ,some safety tips could save someones life ,, , ,, there are allot of young people interested in these kits ,, safety may not be their top priority when it come to do a search on this forum ,maybe a set of safety tips you must read before joining this site at least this forum did all they can on keeping this hobby safe ,, the problem is the more accident that will happen the faster you will lose your freedom ,,yes government will lay down rules and regulation

a set of safety tips should be top priority ,, the seller did not provide any ,,the manufactures did not provide any ,and since you don"t need a permit to drive one you don"t need a safety coarse of any kind , ,
japat100

nice bump, japat. very good point.

here's one----->

srdavo said:
I try to check all the nuts and bolts on a new build after every ride. It's a good habit. If I go for a long ride, I'll take a break in the shade and check things out during my trip.
You will find after a while, fewer & fewer things will be loose. But you still gotta check.
8)

let's keep this one going,
who's next?

augi...could this be worthy of a sticky, so it doesn't get lost again?

now, 'davo, you know i trust the volunteer's judgement. i believe you have permission to make that change.

good call, japat100...that's the way to keep a good forum active 8)

to add to srdavo's post: the 10mm combination wrench is your best friend, use it :p

make a habit of using hand signals, it really does help. even if the cager isn't quite sure what you're up to, you've caught his or her attention. making eye contact with others motorists is smart, too....makes it kinda hard to say "i didn't see him."

thank you augidog for you kind consideration for safety ,and making me feel that i am part of this group ,, both you and i know how important safety it is ,and as time goes on and more kit are sold safety will be one the the main subject not only on this forum but also in the general public ,

as i try understand us humans there are really only 2 reason why anyone will take safety tips ,or rules serious ,,one reason is out of ,,fear,,, fear that you might get hurt or if its a rule of law fear that you might get caught ,,,,and the other reason is to be educated and smart enoughs to know the difference ,,
for people to take part and post on this subject is very important because sellers,manufacturers,etc seems to put safety on the back burner , on the other hand the problem is the young new owner going to go through each safety post ,and my opinion is that he is not ,,but if there was lets say 10 or 15 good safety tips on just one post at the very first of this forum maybe somewhere in the same place where you have ( Welcome to MotoredBikes.com ) then i think the chances of them reading all the safety tip would be much greater ,,for exam.

tip (1 ) helmet can save your life ,pavement is much harder then your head ,please help us make this hobby safe ,wear a hermit , (japat100)
tip ( 2) in a fall or accident , hands , elbows and knees will be the first to hit the pavement ,you decide how to protect
tip (3 ) keep both hands on handle bars when bike is in motion , if need to adjust choke push in clutch and come to a stop until motor is warm ,
tip (4) a loose chain can bind up on small sprocket causing the back wheel to lock .make sure chain is snug
tip (5) ,beware drivers of motor cars etc are fascinated with these motorize bicycle ,and they may not be looking where they are going (it happened to me twice in one day )
(6) beware that as motor get hot so does the muffler and pipe,,

this is a example to keep on one page and to the point so the new reader will read all the safety tips ,, the second point of view i would like to express is the word education and fear that i mention above,as you know education and fear sometimes has to be drilled over and over again until us humans get it ,,for example it is taken us humans 30 years of preaching to learn that smoking is bad for us ,,, so i would like to suggest to members if they believe that safety is of great important to this hobby , that where we have on the bottom of our post a saying or quote ,,,that in place of the quote ,,pick one of the safety tips you like and place it at the bottom of your post and we will drill it into the heads of the members and readers a thousand time to make sure they get it either through fear or education
you and i know that there will be accident and no one can ever say that owners and members of this left safety on the back burner

i gave some example of safety tip short and to the point
and when we get enough input from member to add , change or edit then if the adm. sees fit he can place them on one post at the beginning of this forum so we can all say we did all we could as a group to keep this hobby safe and fun .

thank you all for your time,,, and as these kits become more popular ,safety well defined the direction on which road this hobby takes
japat100

well said....lots of great ideas. I will be adding a safety tip to my signature line.

I nominate Japat100 for the position of MBc Safety Director.

Everything I have seen in this topic is right on!

I only want to add, as a former professional bicycle assembler, is most of our bikes were not designed for the speed and stress that a motor adds. Careful inspection of the bicycle components is just as important to safety as inspecting our engines for loose bolts and screws.

Wheel nuts, pedals, seat post clamps, stems, and handle bars are all susceptible to becoming loose from the vibration of our happy times engine. You have not lived till a pedal or front wheel comes off at 30MPH, and you might not live after. So check everything before every ride.

I am a MoteredBike-aholic, and proud of it, but I never motor without my brain bucket!

Back