My sprocket wont spin. Help a newbie out.

*MACTAC
Looking at those pictures, my clutch doesn't move as much as the pic of the disengaged clutch. My cables have all be run properly, but my clutch wont move much from the picture of the engaged clutch. When I opened the panel on the right side, I took a look at the pin that sticks out (the pin in between the sprocket) I figure it should be able to move in and out but it doesn't. Is this normal? I have been reading other posts and people with similar problems said they just took it for a spin and everything was ok after a while. I have checked and its not the chain getting caught. Thanks everyone who has responded.

No. Don't file your sprocket if you have that thick chain. Is there a ball bearing in the pin? Does the pin stick out?
I'm starting to think your ball bearing in there fell out.
But this whole "won't move to the right" clutch arm. Snug the clutch cable to get it TIGHT with no play then squeeze that clutch lever till that arm moves. If that ball bearing is in there and you can get that clutch arm to move then your bike should roll freely. Adjust it for some play afterwards though as soon as this is all behind you.
Can't find a good install pic of that clutch pin and bearing. Look down on DAX's site. 5th picture down and to the right:
http://www.thatsdax.com/ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_3.html

Last edited by a moderator:
By the look of your vid when your pulling the clutch lever inwards the clutch arm on the engine isn't even moving.That clutch arm needs to swing inwards and disengage the drive-train so the rear wheel rotates relatively freely.Check your cable setup.
BTW,Your chain is too tight man. :)

chain/clutch

i'm a newbe to, the guys here,with their info are great.i too looked at your vid,and also do not see your clutch arm move. loosen barrel nut on clutch cable (on engine) pull cable end with pliers,while pushing barrel nut toward lever as far as you can and tighten. this pulls all the slack from cable/lever. it's hard to do three things at same time,so if you have a extra pair of hands,it will go easier.as for the chain, i like the chain to be as straight as possible(idler roller wise)remove your master link,and see if you can remove a link without making chain too tight. use your idler roller to take up miniscule slack.hope this helps,fred.

Thanks everyone, with out your replies I would never been able to get the bike in working condition. I messed with the clutch for a solid day and a half. Eventually the cable snapped. When I replaced the cable everything worked like a charm. I got the bike going two days ago. My chain keeps snapping. I think it because my engine mount has it so my chain line is off, not to mention the chain that came with the kit was not that great in quality. I have bought a spram BMX 1/8 chain. Do you guys think this chain will work? Thanks again for all of your help.

Are the master links breaking?
If your 44 tooth sprocket wobbles the chain will fall off.
Does the chain have a coating of CLEAR VARNISH?
Is your chain line straight.
Thats dax sells a thinner sprocket that works with a BMX chain.

Last edited:
The chainline is looking good and the rear sprocket is nearly perfect. I'm not sure if I was supposed to use a bmx chain on the bike, but I have and it seems to be doing really well. Yesterday was my first day riding it over a couple miles without the chain snapping, so its obviously better than what was on it. It wasn't my masterlink that was snapping. The chain that the kit came with was ridiculously cheap and could practically be snapped by hand. I had to cut away a piece of my fender because the chain would hit it and then snap. Anyway after cutting out the fender, replacing the chain with a bmx chain, and reconfiguring the engine mount, it has been smooth sailing. Today I am replacing the stock clutch lever and stock walmart breaks because they were both so crappy. All in all its going to cost me $70. I'm willing to spend the extra cash considering I was able to get the frame from walmart for $100 and the motor kit off ebay for $60 no reserve and $95 shipping. After today the bike should be in tip top condition. Thanks for the reply.

Back