My next project - Tadpole Trike

:cool: Thanks Augie. Seeing the MotoredBike grin on peoples faces when they ride her is almost as much fun as riding her myself.

Ahh. Today I should get the trike back. I've sure missed her. It's been too wet to ride the friction drive, so I've had to use the Subaru to get to town. I figure it's cost me an extra $75 this month not having the trike.

I checked the mileage yesterday. It was 153.84 miles each way from Seattle to Ocean Park and back. Say 307 miles. Plus the riding around at OP. I spent $13.75 (I think) on gas, and have more in the tank than I started with. Cool

it was a pure joy to experience vans tadploe firsthand-WOW!!!. one of the coolest things i ever rode, & ive rode , raced, & destroyed many a cycle in my day! you really feel out on the edge being that low to the ground doin 40 to 50 mph, i was totally amazed how well it tracked at those speeds. pure nirvana!! i loved it! & im still grinning! cant wait to see you & the tadpole at next years rally!!!

Great build!

Hi Van;

Just came across your build on the internet an hour + ago, looks like you have built yourself a great ride. I did a add on engine on a Mad Max trike, some time ago, but it's not in the same class, power wise.

She's a good, fun, ride. I'm going to make a few changes to it in the spring, but nothing major. I'm chaffing, waiting for summer, so I can park the Subaru and go back to using the trike for daily transport.

Parts review

I thought it's about time I review some of the parts on the trike now that I've put a bunch of miles on it and had time to reflect on the build.

Frame: The Whiz Wheelz Zoomer is a good frame to start with. I can find no evidence of cracks, etc anywhere on the frame. More expensive than necessary. If I had it to do again, I'd use a Whiz Wheelz Path.

Brakes: The Unique Mechanical Disc brakes are probably adequate for a pedal bike. I am going through pad material very quickly. The contact area on the discs is pretty small, and the pads are tiny. I will upgrade them when I can.

Engine: The Lifan ATV engine with electric start and internal CVT has worked great. My only complaint would be that it leaks a little oil. That may be due to rough treatment in shipping. The box had pretty much disintegrated by the time it got to the rural Post Office here.

Chain: The KMC Extreme Freestyle is good chain. Well worth the price (If you can find it).

Sprocket: The rear sprocket I got from Andyinchville1 is the hard coated version. After 3,000+ miles, it shows very little wear. Also well worth the price.

Hub: The HD dual Freewheel Hub isn't machined perfectly, so the sprockets have a slight wobble, but it hasn't failed, and the bearings still seem smooth. Too bad I couldn't fit the band brake in my application. It would have made a good parking brake.

Wheels: The stock wheels work well on the front. The wheel that The Wheelmaster built for the back is outstanding. I looked at it today. It is bullet proof. Barring a serious accident, I doubt if I will ever need to tighten a spoke. I honestly feel that that wheel is the finest component in the build.

Thanks for sharing that information Alaskavan.It's always nice to find out how different parts made by different Manufacturers stand up to the test of time.There is no substitute for real world testing.IMO.:D

Okay, I'm planning to change the "flow" of the trike. Going back from the seat, to an extra seat/gas tank from a Honda CT 100. I've got the tank. I've got a pipe bender. Got a welder. What am I waiting for. Perhaps it's getting tougher to cut her, the longer I've known her.

Back