My next project - Tadpole Trike

I only use one gear on Moop on the pedal side so I took my rear derailier and removed my cable. Then to fix it to the right gear I took a worn out brake cable and snipped of the end about 2 inches from where the lever starts so I have that round end. Then I passed that stubby cable thru the derailier and clamped it down when I got it where it needed to be.
I'll post a pic in the morning.
You can totally do this to any rear derailier. Yes the chain is too thick but some derailiers have it where the cage that holds the gears together separates when you undo the bolts to the gears. Then it's just a matter of taking spacers and a longer bolt to separate the cage so the thick chain will pass.
Or even just have the chain go over ONE sprocket,the one on the far end and let tension keep it snug.
Even with a fixed tensioner you could make the swap fairly easily. If the tensioner has an adjustment like in the Happy Time tensioners then your golden. And your chain? 2 master links with one link in between. When you switch sprockets to 2 teeth less,removing one master link and it's connected link should do it when you connect the remaining master to the chain. Then put that other link in your tool pouch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Large. I haven't been able to figure out how to attach the "swing arm" of a derailleur to the left side and still have the cage where it needs to be to match the chain run. I'll continue to think about it. Some solution will occur to me.

I ordered a 26t sprocket for the back. I decided to go for gusto. If it's too high of a gear, I will order a 28t.

IMG_2649.1.jpg

I've been battling problems with the idle on this thing. The carb looks identical to the ones that come with HT engines. I had to play with the choke for a while before it would run, then sometimes it would idle, sometimes it wouldn't. Probably just an air leak, and I thought about taking the carb off and putting some Hi-temp sealer in there. But with the lack of tunability, etc., I just said, "To heck with that." I just ordered a little Mikuni. When I install it, I'll use some sealer.

Well, with a little over 600 miles on her, I think I've got the mechanical aspects pretty well ironed out. The Mikuni carb was set way too rich for the Lifan. I ended up opening the idle air a bunch, and I dropped the main needle down a notch to lean that out some. I haven't checked the plug yet to see if it's lean enough. Today I hauled about 150 lbs on the trailer out to 33 mile. She pulled the trailer up to 30 mph - no problem. The trailer tracks perfectly, I don't even notice it back there.

IMG_3149.jpg

IMG_3150.jpg

I'm going to be pretty busy for a while, but when I have time, I'll start on some improved sheet metal work.

Sounds like you got all the bugs worked out Van. This is still by far one of the best builds in here!
Doc

Van. This just hit me. I'm sure Alaska is pretty much low crime over there but when your shopping for groceries and such,how do you deal with security?

:DI don't. Sometimes I even leave the trike running when I go into the store. I only lock the bikes up sometimes when I'm not going to be home. And then I use a small Master Lock, and a chain from a hanging lamp. Crime is a side effect of the unnatural condition of having too many people crammed into a small area and/or having so many laws and rules about trivial matters, that people grow up with a "who cares" attitude. Just my opinion.

I'm sure if anyone tries to take your bike everyone will know who did it.
I bet it's cool to live in a town that you know everyone.

Back