My build. Frankenstein.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have started a build and will be building a fast bike. Thats the plan so far.
I have finished the frame and bought the fork.
I got a brown Brooks seat
I want to put a fast engine into this so your help would be well seen.
I decided to go with a 2 stroke and will build some slowly.
If you have any ideas please let me know and tell me what you think.

This is how the frame looks, bit I will be running different wheels.

This is the fork

I do plan to put panneirs on the back of my bike. and a lot more along with a backup tank. I want to ride 600 miles round trip to PA and back to NY this summer. I intent to hae my bike in tip top shape before I do

go with the heavy 4 stroke. you can gas up at the station and they have torque. or buy th 2 stroke for fun just bring some tools with you. that idler pulley is a peice of junk!

So my problem now is just picking the right engine for my bike.
I do not plan on racing, but riding this bike. I want to be able to do 40 miles in one trip just for fun of it.

Why not, that's only a 40 minute ride, right? :D

You can't turn a 4-stroke upside-down if you need to change an inner tube or whatever, and that's all I know about them because I stopped reading about them after that. :p

I do plan to put panneirs on the back of my bike. and a lot more along with a backup tank. I want to ride 600 miles round trip to PA and back to NY this summer. I intent to hae my bike in tip top shape before I do

Getting off topic, lol; but that's okay, just be aware of the effect on handling. You already ride with a rear rack I see, so you know how it feels when you load it up. :) Have you tried front panniers? Have you tried ONLY front panniers? You might be surprised at how good they feel. Tank bags are good too, you see them on motorcycles a lot because of how little they effect handling/COG. Have you tried a trailer like a BoB or the chinese copy?

I keep making reference to your long chainstays and wheelbase.. Can you tell us what your actual chainstay (centre of rear axle to centre of bottom bracket) length and wheelbase of your bike is please, Fatandre? :)

yes I do have a trailer that I have carried as much as 600 lbs of lumber on. it is the bogie buggie for my dog bogart. a 100 lb swissy. and the trailer does buck the bike around a bit. especialy as my pup shifts his weight. we hit speeds up to 30 mph down hill.

yes I do have a trailer that I have carried as much as 600 lbs of lumber on. it is the bogie buggie for my dog bogart. a 100 lb swissy. and the trailer does buck the bike around a bit. especialy as my pup shifts his weight. we hit speeds up to 30 mph down hill.

Single wheel ones are really nice. The generic chinese ones (only rated to take 35kg and) have inferior geometry to the genuine BoB, but handle fine at speed, they just jack-knife easily when parking up.

I feel guilty as we're on Fatandre's thread about his build. :-/
He's really made me want a custom-built frame more than ever.. I wish I could ask for a go on his, as I'll never get to try such a long bike otherwise. I'm planning to get a long-ish frame (460mm chainstay, 1080mm wheelbase) but I'd be scared to go that far without having ridden something similar before.

its all convo. I do appreatiate the man who started this thread will check after typing, and I do want to do a custom myself I have a rat bike I built that will not fot an engine that I want to chop. but it is alluminum and I dont know how to tig weld. I am ery envios of the bikes I see on here. but I feel like I would get it impounded as the cops would feel they need it more than I do. Im not exactly legal.

Agreed. :) It does get addictive doesn't it? I have five complete bikes in my one bedroom apartment, been told not to buy any more, I'm trying to save up thousands of $$$ for my phase 1 MAB which is getting more expensive all the time (and faster than I'm saving up!) and I still can't resist planning phase 3 already, with a custom frame like the OP's! :D

Ie only had the heart to put an engine on one of my five bikes. its in the scrap pile now. just bought a new bike waiting for it to come in next week. which is why im on the pc and not out riding. right now I got 4 bikes. one of them all carbon fiber $8000 new. I wouldnt dare put an engine on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back