Fired up and actually rode my first motorized bike today.

I rode the bike as far as the house next door and immediately came to a couple conclusions. First thing is the 25 year old rock shox Judy is not up to the task. I am going to find a steel threadless 1 1/8 rigid fork that is disc brake ready unless any of you folks could recommend a affordable yet well made suspension fork. Second thing is the coaster brake is pretty much worthless as a few of you guys had told me would probably be the case with it I don't have any idea what I am going to do for the rear brake. But it was a really good feeling to fire it up and actually ride it even if it was only for a couple hundred feet. I got a disc brake coming for the front but I'm thinking I might want to get a 4 piston front brake caliper instead of the one I have on the way. Half the fun of building this is figuring out what to do. Im still going to weld one more layer of tubing to the top tube and down tube so those will have three tubes total even though two of the three will have been split like clam shells and welded over the frame. I also think ill put a couple gussets to the rear triangle. Then my friend is going to normalize the frame in the oven at his work. It's been really fun so far and I'm learning a lot more than I ever imagined I would. Get this one all finished and I can start building a second bike that will actually be street legal😀

Attachments

• IMG_20230721_012656.jpg
    IMG_20230721_012656.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 940
  • IMG_20230721_012705.jpg
    IMG_20230721_012705.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_20230719_224607.jpg
    IMG_20230719_224607.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20230719_224619.jpg
    IMG_20230719_224619.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20230719_224541.jpg
    IMG_20230719_224541.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 210
Sweet ride. It would be sick of you blue the steel in that oven then clear coat it. I've seen a BMX bike someone did that to, but I've never seen it anywhere else.

I rode the bike as far as the house next door and immediately came to a couple conclusions. First thing is the 25 year old rock shox Judy is not up to the task. I am going to find a steel threadless 1 1/8 rigid fork that is disc brake ready unless ant of you folks could recommend a affordable yet well made suspension fork. Second thing is the coaster brake is pretty much worthless as a few of you guys had told me would probably be the case with it I don't have any idea what I am going to do for the rear brake. But it was a really good feeling to fire it up and actually ride it even 8f it was only for a couple hundred feet. I got a disc brake coming for the front but I'm thinking I might want to get a 4 piston front brake caliper instead of the one I have on the way. Half the fun of building this is figuring out what to do. Im still going to weld one more layer of tubing to the top tube and down tube so those will have three tubes total even though two of the three will have been split like clam shells and welded over the frame. I also think ill put a couple gussets to the rear triangle. Then my friend is going to normalize the frame in the oven at his work. It's been really fun so far and I'm learning a lot more than I ever imagined I would. Get this one all finished and I can start building a second bike that will actually be street legal😀
Yep, make some safety improvements

There are also adapters that thread onto the free wheel, so the action of braking would tighten the adapter but you would lose the ability to pedal and the hub would have to flip.

Back