Motorized bike build

Thanks for your responses, I come here to learn and I appreciate all the great information I've been given. I appreciate the recent responses that have tried to guide me towards buying a moped or a car, but I'm really enthusiastic about learning to do this. I'm super excited about what I've learned from all of you guys who have done it. Maybe $500 is more than it's going to cost, I hope so. I can't afford a car and this is something I've got my heart set on.

Thanks for your responses, I come here to learn and I appreciate all the great information I've been given. I appreciate the recent responses that have tried to guide me towards buying a moped or a car, but I'm really enthusiastic about learning to do this. I'm super excited about what I've learned from all of you guys who have done it. Maybe $500 is more than it's going to cost, I hope so. I can't afford a car and this is something I've got my heart set on.
If it's in the budget, buy a second engine. Just in case you wreck the first one.

So money should be coming through within the next few days, I'm so excited, I cannot wait!
I'm about to start making purchases, and just wanted to run this by one more time.

Walmart hyper -148
Walmart tool kit - 40 (sockets/wrenches + torque wrench)
Walmart spray Lucas red n tacky grease -10
Walmart zip ties -4
Walmart 3 in 1 oil 5
Walmart gas can 11
Walmart 2 stroke oil 3

Ebay engine kit 89
Ebay 44t sprocket adapter 20

Amazon brakes 20
Amazon bike pump 10
Amazon tire repair 3

Hyper Cruiser
Grease front and rear wheel bearings
Grease under clutch cover (gears)
Grease under sprocket cover (bucking bar etc)
Make sure the piston is in the right direction
Tighten the studs
5 foot lbs on the head bolts?

That is what I'll be going with

I was highly considering a 48t sprocket adapter, I'm wondering how fast it will top out at. I can't seem to find any for around $25, all I see are the ones for like 70-80 dollars for the 48t. I'm not sure if the little engine will get me up the hill or if I will need a higher tooth sprocket.

What happens when it gets too hot? Should I not be high rpm for too long or does the engine need to periodically cool down?

Your list looks decent to start. You will find things you need or want to take with along the way.

I suggest looking for the hyper on the Walmart website first. When I bought mine it had a coupon that dropped it to 130. Not alot of savings, but it sounds like you can put that extra 10 to use.

As for top speed, it likely won't be much more than 25.

You might look into a temp gauge. If it gets too hot you will experience what is aclled a soft seize. It will lock up and you will need to wait for it to cool down, and then hopefully if pops free and doesn't wreck the jug lining or piston.

Back