Chains I keep breaking drive chains on my 2023 Phatmoto!

cottersay

Local time
5:56 AM
Hi all! I'm having a constant problem with the 415H drive chain on my 2023 Phatmoto All Terrain: Every time I back the bike up (whether the motor is running or not), the chain snaps the master link. I'm not running the chain too tight (unless it should be run *very* loose?), so I'm at a loss about this. Any thoughts?

Could you post a few pics of the bike, but in particular the drive train comprised of the chain, rear sprocket it is mounted on etc. etc.???

It might be something readily apparent to those that can view it.

Is it just the clip that is popping off when you roll it backwards because it possibly gets snagged by coming into physical contact with the frame, chainguard, or whatever due to misalignment because sprocket is not "trued" on the rim causing a slight wobble, or possibly the wheel itself also not in a perfectly straight alignment, etc???

Check close the mount where the engine bolts to in the middle of the frame. Make sure the bolts, the vertical and horizontal dimensions are level because the chain issue could be an alignment problem.

Hi guys!

Here is a picture of another Phatmoto (I'm not in the same state as my Phatmoto at the moment). These are all jackshaft bikes, and the only thing that I know of that could cause the chain break problem would either be a massively overtightened drive chain, or a large misalignment or possibly an offset issue with the rear wheel, which I don't have. The jackshaft itself is not adjustable.

phatmoto.jpg

Here is a picture of another Phatmoto (I'm not in the same state as my Phatmoto at the moment)
I guess we will have to wait until you can get actual pics of your own bike...No two bikes are exactly the same and what we would be looking for would be something unique to the way you built yours. We would be looking for anything you might have not seen yourself, but would be readliy apparent to others.

Especially when it only seems to occur when your rolling the bike backwards which makes me still think that the master link clip is snagging itself on something.

I thought the same thing about the master link clip, but when I found the main masterlink part (the one with both pins) after one of the chain breaks, it was actually bent...

I thought the same thing about the master link clip, but when I found the main masterlink part (the one with both pins) after one of the chain breaks, it was actually bent...
Well, I can only tell ya before we see more information via pics etc, that since the master link is the widest link on the chain and you report that it is actually bent, it must be hitting something in order to bend it as well as pop it apart, they don't just bend by themselves so something is in the way of that chains travel that lets the rest of the chain slip through just fine until it gets to the slightly wider master link.

Well, I can only tell ya before we see more information via pics etc, that since the master link is the widest link on the chain and you report that it is actually bent, it must be hitting something in order to bend it as well as pop it apart, they don't just bend by themselves so something is in the way of that chains travel that lets the rest of the chain slip through just fine until it gets to the slightly wider master link.

Thanks, guys, for responding! Damien had it nailed: Since I always put the master link clip on with the closed end toward the chain's rotation, when I backed up the bike, I found that the chain would periodically rub against the plastic primary cover, which would then "flick off" the master link clip into the stratosphere! Since the bike is in alignment, I just need to file that area away to cure the problem!
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Thanks, guys, for responding! Damien had it nailed: Since I always put the master link clip on with the closed end toward the chain's rotation, when I backed up the bike, I found that the chain would periodically rub against the plastic primary cover, which would then "flick off" the master link clip into the stratosphere! Since the bike is in alignment, I just need to file that area away to cure the problem!
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
Always push your bike forward.

Back