Hub adapter question

Can someone explain to me exactly how to do a key way on the adapter? How to make my own if necessary
Because if for some reason it slips, it can rip apart your spokes.

There are a few ways on YouTube how to do it.

What I did was get everything right where I wanted it, drilled with a right angled drill through the hub adapter and a bit into the bike hub.

You can then tap the adapter and put in a bolt, and on the wheel hub use a Dremel to get it a little flat.

Line it up, clamp the adapter, then tighten the bolt.

USE LOCKTITE!
1000001077.jpg

Can someone explain to me exactly how to do a key way on the adapter? How to make my own if necessary
The best way is with a roll pin, drill a hole into the hub and a hole right through the adapter and tap the pin in. You can get them at a local parts store.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.

In here he sands, any idea what grit sand paper would be good for sanding down the aluminum hub adapters?

In here he sands, any idea what grit sand paper would be good for sanding down the aluminum hub adapters?

Rub the part on 80 grit to remove the material fast then 120 grit to finish

Or if ya got a table top belt sander your done in no time

I overlooked in the video he had machined the hole in the sprocket to be larger, it appears.

So i'm back to the drawing board, will likely have to get the bike first, then make measurements, and then order

If ya want to sand the ID of the hub adapter use a barrel sander

Is there a sprocket/adapter that would fit without the need for modifications? Anyone know?
There is always one rule you need to know when building these bikes...Almost nothing on these goes right on right out of the box.

You have to think outside the box at all times and at least have some rudimentary skills of basic mechanics under your belt, almost everything needs to be adapted and finagled one way or another to make things fit and work.

Forget about making a key way in your adapter unless you've got a full blown machine shop. I have seen people attempt to do it with a Dremel but there's no way you'll make it ture by hand, and keys want to be true and locked in.

Gregg gets a little dramatic in the video, but he's got the right idea. His gap does not need to be that great, but there must be a noticable gap with the two halves torqued together. Every adapter definitely needs this done before assembly.

My personal choice is to drill and tap a hole like Wyvern did on his. I would initially use a set screw only because the tip will bite into the hub better than the flat end of a bolt. Better yet, grind a shallow point on the end of the bolt first. In the future if you ever have reason to replace the spokes I would drill a larger hole into the hub so the bolt could actually penatrate the wall. A 90* angle head on your hand drill might get you in between the spokes also. Don't even think about the rubber shim they try to sell you. This is just my opinion for what it's worth. The ultimate answer is to bolt your sproket to the disc brake flange.

Back