Sturmey archer xl-rd3 hub adapter

BruceBanner1983

Local time
6:22 AM
I’m looking to run a sturmey xl-rd3 (3 speed internal geared hub) and want to know if a sprocket and adapter exists that will fit it? It’s a 90mm drum, and the sprocket hole will have to clear the drum plate and torque arm.

Ive searched for something to mount a sprocket to an IGH before. I never found anything. I think you would have to drill the hole out to the right size. It would be hard to keep it centered though.

Find the bolt center diameter of the clam shell adapters. The hub flange diameters are 109mm on both side. As long as you have enough meat it should be fine to Dremel or cut it out on a laythe.

Ive searched for something to mount a sprocket to an IGH before. I never found anything. I think you would have to drill the hole out to the right size. It would be hard to keep it centered though.
You can use a rag joint on the old aw 3 speed hubs and even the new hubs without a coaster or drum brake.

For the clam shell adapters the 3 speed hubs with drum brake are around 2.5 inches at the skinniest and are conical increase in width until it meets the flange.

Attachments

• 20231014_134628.jpg
    20231014_134628.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 41
  • 20231014_135114.jpg
    20231014_135114.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20231014_135108.jpg
    20231014_135108.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20231014_135103.jpg
    20231014_135103.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 42
  • download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    3.6 KB · Views: 45
You can use a rag joint on the old aw 3 speed hubs and even the new hubs without a coaster or drum brake.

For the clam shell adapters the 3 speed hubs with drum brake are around 2.5 inches at the skinniest and are conical increase in width until it meets the flange.
I’m not trusting a rag joint to a 212 lol. Will a flange adapter work with a drum brake? Or is the rag joint and flange adapter the same thing?

If I had to, a sturmey archer X-RD (free wheel threaded, no internal gears) would play nicer with the flange adapters(same thing as the clamshell)

I like the idea of a moped rear drum brake better though. https://www.treatland.tv/complete-peugeot-103-rear-36h-hub-assembly-p/peugeot-rear-hub-4492.htm

Has sealed bearings, mounting points built into the hub and a threading for a free wheel. Would lace up into any spoked rim with 36 holes. Uses these sprockets (cut for 415 chain) but any machinist could make a sprocket with the right pitch and tooth width for the chain you want

If I had to, a sturmey archer X-RD (free wheel threaded, no internal gears) would play nicer with the flange adapters(same thing as the clamshell)

I like the idea of a moped rear drum brake better though. https://www.treatland.tv/complete-peugeot-103-rear-36h-hub-assembly-p/peugeot-rear-hub-4492.htm

Has sealed bearings, mounting points built into the hub and a threading for a free wheel. Would lace up into any spoked rim with 36 holes. Uses these sprockets (cut for 415 chain) but any machinist could make a sprocket with the right pitch and tooth width for the chain you want
Do you build wheels?

Try this site here. Out of the various adaptors he makes you may be able to put something together that'll work for you. David also does custom machine work as well.

Will the IGH 3 speeds take the power of a MB engine? I've rebuilt a few 3 speed SA's, and they don't look that robust. I like the idea, curious to see how it works.

Back