Hi, new guy about to do first build!

Well project got temporarily derailed; the chain is just too long even with the chain tensioner and I don't have a chain breaker or grinder. Got a friend with a battery powered grinder coming tomorrow to help cut some links out. I think it looks like ideally it can be cut so as to not need a tensioner.

Turns out, the actual engine install was a breeze, and it fit right nicely with everything fitting against the frame with perfect angles.

So basically, after cutting the chain down, all I have left is the handlebar stuff, everything else is on the bike. The handlebar stuff may be daunting though, I have no idea how I wil lget the original grips off, may have to cut the crap out of them.
In the future for anyone that does not have a chain breaker you do not need one if you don't have access to one. If you have a simple hammer and a nail set it works great. Tools most of us will have and if not more than likely one of your friends or neighbors will

In the future for anyone that does not have a chain breaker you do not need one if you don't have access to one. If you have a simple hammer and a nail set it works great. Tools most of us will have and if not more than likely one of your friends or neighbors will
I usually just grind the ends of the pins off then use a punch to knock them out. I sometimes prefer that to a chain breaker

I usually just grind the ends of the pins off then use a punch to knock them out. I sometimes prefer that to a chain breaker
Thats what I do when I custom make my chains to run without a tensioner, I never have used a chain breaker tool before in my entire life...lol.

I have never had a need to reuse a rivet after I have ground it off to remove what usually amounts to multiple links...Measure twice, cut once, have master link at the ready.
Ever hear the saying "I cut it 3 times and it's still to short"
It just makes it a bit easier
I only gave mine a few light taps and it popped right out. Assuming it may be more difficult with a heavier duty chain 🤷‍♂️

Back