Gang gang

Yup, the bt80. It's very reliable in my experience. I love the engine and it cruises at 25 pretty nice.

I've also looked at doing heavy performance mods, but I don't think the clutch would hold up to a bunch of power

Since you have a minarelli and a bt80 can you measure the studs for me and see if one would fit a bt80?
I'll get those measurements for u after work my brother. I would like to see the new v2 100c bt100 used on out bt80

The advantage of having a 3 or 5 speed internal geared hub transmission is it'll be like having 3 or 5 different rear wheel sprockets, thus equaling faster acceleration. You'll also have better hill climbing abilities without having to sacrifice top level ground speed.
I've heard the internal hubs sometimes can't handle the punishment from our engines.

I've heard the internal hubs sometimes can't handle the punishment from our engines.
It can handle it as long as you don't overload it. This is where a tachometer comes in handy.

For example my 4 stroke max hp is at 7000 rpm. If I'm doing 7000 rpm at full throttle on level ground and shift to a higher gear I won't go any faster. The rpm rate will simply drop lower.

Even with mods you typically don't want to push the 2 strokes beyond 8000 rpm. 6000 rpm is a cruising rpm. So if you can't reach 5000 rpm at full throttle shift to a lower gear. If you're going over 7000 rpm at full throttle shift to a higher gear.

Unlike my derailleur shifting system with an IGH transmission system the bicycle doesn't have to be moving in order to change gears. Meaning you could shift back to 1st gear while stopped instead of having to shift to a take off gear before stopping.

IGH bikes have always fascinated me. I've got a 70s 3spd IGH that I rebuilt and repainted just because I loved the way the bike looks. It's a beautiful bike, but I still need to do some minor things like popping the rivets on the fenders and cleaning and painting the fender braces, putting handlebar grips on it, and replacing cables. I'll probably do these things soon and get rid of my mountain bike. The riding position of the mountain bike is uncomfortable IMO

It can handle it as long as you don't overload it. This is where a tachometer comes in handy.

For example my 4 stroke max hp is at 7000 rpm. If I'm doing 7000 rpm at full throttle on level ground and shift to a higher gear I won't go any faster. The rpm rate will simply drop lower.

Even with mods you typically don't want to push the 2 strokes beyond 8000 rpm. 6000 rpm is a cruising rpm. So if you can't reach 5000 rpm at full throttle shift to a lower gear. If you're going over 7000 rpm at full throttle shift to a higher gear.

Unlike my derailleur shifting system with an IGH transmission system the bicycle doesn't have to be moving in order to change gears. Meaning you could shift back to 1st gear while stopped instead of having to shift to a take off gear before stopping.
Great info my friend and that's what I'm looking for, lowering rpms but stay at cruzin speed. What name brand hub do u use?

IGH bikes have always fascinated me. I've got a 70s 3spd IGH that I rebuilt and repainted just because I loved the way the bike looks. It's a beautiful bike, but I still need to do some minor things like popping the rivets on the fenders and cleaning and painting the fender braces, putting handlebar grips on it, and replacing cables. I'll probably do these things soon and get rid of my mountain bike. The riding position of the mountain bike is uncomfortable IMO
Man I want to do a full suspension mtn bike build but I've got too many unfinished projects. Bet that 3 speed will clean up real nice thou.

Back