Chain Tensioner frame engine drive chain tensioner

Metal idler gear

I am going to try one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370018347933&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=024

On eBay. Metal, made for #41 chain, and it has a bearing in it. We'll see when it gets here how it works.

There are several people that have them on ebay, just search for "#41 idler gear", and they usually are not much if any more than buying one of those cheap junk plastic things. The one I have, both of the sides broke off and where it broke you could see the whole thing was full of air bubbles-it was very porus.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I saw that thread the other day. I really really like the rubber coated pulley and the spring tensioner, but I couldn't find it on the "tractor supply" website and there isn't one in my town.

Pete

I've gotten my bearing sprocket idler and have had it on for about a week or so now. It is working fantastic so far. Fits the #41 chain perfectly and is nice and smooth. The little derailer cog that I had on there before only lasted about 30 miles and the bearings were totally shot-I could feal the thing buzzing when I was ridding. This metal idler sprocket is nice and smooth. Its probably not designed for these speeds, but its cheap enough to replace in a few hundred miles if need be.

Attachments

• DSCF1819.JPG
    DSCF1819.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
I use a wheel from a skate board. It is wide and has two bearings. The surface is very tough and shows no sighn of wear after 100 miles. I used the Idler mount that came with the kit but mounted it on the down tube insted ok the chainstay. This will keep it from going into the spokes if it malfunctions.

cheap parts

:poop:
First, let me say, I am all for any improvements to our bike kits.

I have used the same plastic tensioner wheel for 4 years now, without fail. I ride nearly everyday. This is the old style, with no bearings.

Sounds to me like you might be running your chain a wee bit too tight.

Is anybody else having problems with the kit's plastic roller? wearing out or breaking?

yes i do but not anymore when i took the hacksaw to it i realized that the bolts that hold them in place are weak chinese steel, so when i put my 10.9 bolt in never had another problem . but on the same token i am modding a new one with rubber spring loaded from a baja mini bike works a-1

Back