E-gebe

The sync issue is an issue with your motor, not the controller.

When I first built my bike, it ran fine. But, it was geared for low speed. As I geared it up, I began seeing that motor screaching sound. That sound is the motor loosing sync with the ESC. However, this is not an ESC issue, but a motor issue. From the research I have done, it looks like the problem is primarrily with the AXI motor. Apparently, there is an issue with the 14 pole arrangement of that motor and the resonant frequency of the can resulting in that screach. With your gearing, I would guess your screach is occurring at about 10mph, right at the sweet spot for beginning a run up a hill or towing a trailer.

Anyway, I changed motors. Now I am running a Plettenberg Terminator 30-8 heli motor. That motor has no issues like the AXI. However, it is $1,000+!!! Plus, it is actually less efficient than the AXI (fewer mile per charge). It also draws ALOT of current because it trys to run up at 6,000 watts! So, I have blown two controllers at this point. I did some more research and found that my wiring (18 inches of 12 guage wire) is woefully inadequate for my needs. So, I am moving to dual runs of 10 guage and reducing my wire length to 8 inches instead. I am also installing a bank of caps before the ESC to eliminate any remaining line inductance. Beyond that, I have been pulling 150 amps through my HV110. So, I ordered a Castle Creations Hydra HV240 boat controller. It should be better suited to this application with super high current like I am pulling (under hard accelleration).

So, back to your bike..................

It looks like the screach is something you will have to live with. This is indeed frustrating. It is the only motor that tends to encounter this. The large HXT outrunners seem to be imune to it as do many other motors. I wish I geared my bike up earlier to find this problem sooner.

Matt

Oldschool,

The reason for my slipper clutch is the power I am running. The controller does not have a throttle sensitivity adjustment.

My new ESC does, though. :)

However, for a system capable of pulling close to 8,000 watts, a current limiter would be nice to have.

Matt

The sync issue is an issue with your motor, not the controller....

Matt

The guy at castle creations recommended one of their Neu motors. He said it would not have the saturation problem and would work better at the higher torque levels. He may be biased since they sell them, but usually those guys are pretty good about their information. So I'm trying to decide if I want to switch to one of those or not.

MX

I wish that I had a better background in electronics.....to me this all looks a bit like greek but I do like what I see! I do know bikes though and have enough experience with motors on them and have done enough research to know that the ultimate version has not yet been made. Although I do have to say that Matts effort comes pretty darn close.

But correct me if I am wrong here but using a lower wattage motor wouldn't it be possible to set it up through a jackshaft to operate a Nuvinci hub like Staton does with their setup and let the gearing do most of the work?

Discontinued

Due to various unrelated circumstances, I just can't work on this right now. :( Anyone interested in buying all the electric components I've pulled together?

(2) 6 cell 10000 mAh lithium polymer packs with Hyperion balance taps and Traxxis high-current connectors. I built these packs from these cells. I'll include the Traxxis cable that combines both packs in series for 12s 48v use.

(1) Phoenix HV110 speed controller - 110 amps, 50 volts. Has Traxxis high-current connector and Castle 6.5mm bullet connectors for motor.

(1) AXI 5345/18 171kv motor. I'll include the bullet connectors to match the speed controller.

(1) 17 tooth pinion gear - fits AXI shaft and GEBE belt

(1) 19 tooth pinion gear - fits AXI shaft and GEBE belt

(1) Hyperion EOS 1210i charger with dual balance modules, datacable, everything you need to charge the packs. You just need a 12v DC source.

(1) Throttle spring lever + Astro Flight servo controller (to drive the speed controller)

(1) Eflite meter (amps, volts, watts) with traxxis high-current connectors added.

(1) Motor and controller wires to hook everything up and go from front of bike to back. I had the batteries in a handlebar bag and the controller/motor in the rear.

Everything was only used for about 20 minutes total. The motor will be brand new in box as soon as the replacement gets here (original had a magnet come loose).

Does not include the GEBE parts.

Cost over $1600 new not counting shipping. I've pulled it all together and soldered most everything for you.

$1200 shipped in the US.

MX

I am interested in the cells. I am about to order 24 more cells anyway and this will get me half way there.

How much for the cells?

Matt

I am interested in the cells. I am about to order 24 more cells anyway and this will get me half way there.

How much for the cells?

Matt

Would $500 shipped for both packs be reasonable? You have the hyperion charger, right? So you will be able to use the packs as is, with the hyperion taps.

Back