Doks Cafe Racer Build

@Chainlube

I saw on another thread that you mentioned the motor im going to use to charge a battery, is there any way you could provide me with a wiring diagram that shows how to charge a lead acid from the motor being used as a alternator? i know i need a voltage regulator, but how would i prevent from overcharging the lead acid?

would this do the trick?

thanks in advance!
I wouldn't suggest using the engine to charge a battery. A cordless power tool batter is a better idea and after rides you can slap it on a charger.

I wouldn't suggest using the engine to charge a battery. A cordless power tool batter is a better idea and after rides you can slap it on a charger.
Sorry, my mistake for the muddy wording, i meant using a dc motor as a generator. my bt80 doesn't even have the white wire. I got the same motor that the guy used on the Japanese build. I plan to drive it either off the clutch spindle via belt or set it up on the chain tensioner. As stated above, if i rely on a rechargeable battery, i will always forget to charge it. my main commute is going to be at 6:00 in the morning to work, a idiot proof lighting system is a must.

Sorry, my mistake for the muddy wording, i meant using a dc motor as a generator. my bt80 doesn't even have the white wire. I got the same motor that the guy used on the Japanese build. I plan to drive it either off the clutch spindle via belt or set it up on the chain tensioner. As stated above, if i rely on a rechargeable battery, i will always forget to charge it. my main commute is going to be at 6:00 in the morning to work, a idiot proof lighting system is a must.
Ahh, I see. I understand being forgetful. I have tha E-start bt80 and it has a charging system.

Ahh, I see. I understand being forgetful. I have tha E-start bt80 and it has a charging system.
Trust me, if I had the cash upfront, i would have gone for that option. life has dealt me a bad hand at the moment. I am parking my car and taking up my bike (along with many many other compromises) to make sure i can put food on the table and to keep the roof over my head.

You have to run an alternator off the chain, either side, to charge the battery. A 3 wire alternator has a built-in regulator. It's been awhile since I wired my spitty so I don't remember the color of the wires, but white to ground, black hot and the colored wire is the trigger.

By changing to a sprocket you can overdrive the alternator. I would run it off a right side sprocket with it behind the seat.

Trust me, if I had the cash upfront, i would have gone for that option. life has dealt me a bad hand at the moment. I am parking my car and taking up my bike (along with many many other compromises) to make sure i can put food on the table and to keep the roof over my head.
Yeah, I get being on a budget. I just got lucky with some extra jingle I got from my parents during the holidays. I was just gonna buy the cheap 80 dollar ebay kit lol

So today was supposed to be the last day of assembly... but as they say, no plan survives first contact. Have a issue where my chain is either rubbing on the frame or the wheel. I bought a 36 tooth sprocket now, hopefully the smaller diameter helps me clear the rear arms and a flat sprocket will help me thread the needle. Pictures to come tomorrow. I need a drink.

Installation is finished (for now) just need to cable manage. Once the warm weather is here to stay, I'll be doing a full paint job and fiber glass gas tank.
20240406_231815.jpg
20240406_231825.jpg

Back