Columbia Trike and Hilltopper 250 Watt Kit.

Yeah electric in California is 750 watts max. But then again without a label anywhere which is not currently to my knowledge required or a mislabel, who would know? Great point in question ;)

Yeah electric in California is 750 watts max. But then again without a label anywhere which is not currently to my knowledge required or a mislabel, who would know? Great point in question ;)

Yeah, yer right. But if ya get caught pulling wheelies, smokin yer tires and doin 65mph they'll prolly figure it out. And HONESTLY, do ya really think ya wouldn't?

Yeah I see yer point. Too bad the gov doesn't just establish MV laws to allow super bicycles. Other countries allow it with few issues.

U.S. and Them.

Yeah I see yer point. Too bad the gov doesn't just establish MV laws to allow super bicycles. Other countries allow it with few issues.

Not trying to defend this country TOO much because I think MOST laws are passed simply to protect the stupid from doing stupid things and killing themselves and others. But then ya gotta also admit, the U.S. don't cut yer arm off for stealing. Or stone ya to death for adultry or behead you for speaking against the government.This country ain't Switzerland, but it ain't Afghanistan either.
Yeah, I think the power ratings on electrics could be raised a little. And also the horsepower on the gassers. But if there were no ratings at all then we're back to talking about stupid people. Couse ya KNOW some idiot would put a Ninja engine on a bicycle and ride it around town at 100mph.
I think as long as you keep it under the insane range on the watts nobody's gonna care. I only ride the 66/80CC engines and no problems so far. Yeah, I know, I'm breaking the law (a little), But other than the CC's I have my bike TOTALLY street legal with all the lights required and registered. I'll get my M-2 as soon as I get my first ticket for it.
So I say, GO FOR IT, (kinda.) Just keep it safe and sane.
Big Red.

Adding a two-wire throttle this coming week. I'll update the project when I do. I am thinking instead of spending 400 bucks on the currie system for my ezip, maybe installing the Lipo4 Papa 1000W 48Volt system on it. Should fit the forks and would def give speed, but more important would bring longer range times too. I could still throttle it low to keep speeds in the 15mph range which I am happy with, and this would give me even greater riding times. Well anyhow I'll update that as well.

Okay received the twist throttle two-wire. Installation was pretty straight forward. First you take the red button wire and cut it. Inside is a black and red wire. On the twist throttle there is a wire. Cut the end off that and then splice the wires, twist the copper. Use a No. 2male connector on the throttle wires. The throttle has two wires, a red and a white one. The red connects to the Hilltopper red wire. The HT wires can have a female connector and are slightly thicker then the throttle wires. Once this has been done, make sure to individually bundle the wire connectors. If they touch the front hub motor will never stop spinning. Once this is done properly bundle the two pre covered wires with electrical tape together and secure on frame with electrical tape That is about it. Here is the link to what you will need to get. Works really nice and it is a safety update to the cheap red button originally included in the Hilltopper kit.

http://www.electricscooterparts.com/throttlessinglespeed.html

Electricruz® 2 Wire Single Speed Twist Throttle with Matching Grips

Hope this helps and one last note. It is an on / off switch. There is no variable speed, but it is much safer than the red button which can stick.

Just as a safety precaution I think you should still install a cutoff switch. Like you said, It's only a off/on switch. If it fry's then it might stick too.
Big Red.

Uh, no. It springs closed. I tested it and until the twist is half-way rotated it doesn't kick in. So it is good to go. BTW, the trike wheel with no resistance maxes out at about 19.3mph. Not bad for a 250watt hub set up.

I think I am going to go a new ebike after my ezip winds down and install on a new dual suspension a 1000watt setup. With a Lipo4 20amp. That should give me speed and range. Kits are available, reasonably priced.

As the CR battery goes bad I may get a separate controller and a Lifepo4 battery for longer range. The CR SLA battery only gets me about 5.6 miles. I am thinking I can probably wire the Bafang hub motor into a controller for Bafang. Only other option would be to chuck the CR system and just replace it with a generic bafang. I could consider a 350 watt with torque arms added. I think this could work.

Well after weighing the many options, I have come to the conclusion that it is best to avoid Hilltopper as a cheapo kit that will cost you a small fortune to upgrade. Better to go with other kits that use the Bafang power hub and have a separate controller.

Back