Chain issues : Schwinn Meridian w/ Predator 79CC

Your axel nuts look worn like mine are so you need to check them often cause the get loose. Either double nut them or check after every ride and when mine get loose thats when trike feels kinda shaky

Your axel nuts look worn like mine are so you need to check them often cause the get loose. Either double nut them or check after every ride and when mine get loose thats when trike feels kinda shaky
yesterday when I put the whee back on after the sprcket change , I was sinning the wheek asItightebed the axke nut , if I really tighten down on the nut hard , the wheel becomes hard to turn , I changed the bearings on the wheel , maybe the washer under the nut is causing it to get tight , maybe it is the nature of the beast

Lock washers made mine hard to turn to and when I took it off they spun great. I put the lock washer on to try to stop the nuts from getting loose and that didnt work and thats when I went to double nuts

I like the double nut idea --- a 1/2 nut ( jam nut ) would be the proper way to go

You know that saying every action has an opposite reaction :

After changing the sprocket from 44 to 50 , I had to increase the length of the chain by adding 3 links and another master link , now the chain jumped off twice yesterday , got to figurethat one out ........ suppose to rain " bad " for the next three days

I like the double nut idea --- a 1/2 nut ( jam nut ) would be the proper way to go

You know that saying every action has an opposite reaction :

After changing the sprocket from 44 to 50 , I had to increase the length of the chain by adding 3 links and another master link , now the chain jumped off twice yesterday , got to figurethat one out ........ suppose to rain " bad " for the next three days
I will take pics of how I made the motor adjustable and I will post later today. Makes it easy to adjust for slack

There are lots of different types of self locking nuts....... look here

Nice link ... that 1/2 nut lock nutis cool , 1/2 nut jam nut is what I need , I could cut a full nut in half with the band saw

Most every manual I have read for heavy equipment , outboards , motorcycles , automobiles , etc , all say the same thing , " after removing lock nuts , discard and get a new one " , I have never done that unless the nut is loose

I have always done the same with lock nuts so thats a good thing to know about replacement. My big brainstorm on making motor adjustable is just reversing the bolts so you can move motor up and down
trike motor 020.JPG

A stover nut is a good self locking nut , instead of a nylon insert , itis all metal with the top edge of the threads bent down making resistance on the nut , but even with them , removing and replacing does loosen the locking effect --- Lock-Tite / thread lock is another option

I have always done the same with lock nuts so thats a good thing to know about replacement. My big brainstorm on making motor adjustable is just reversing the bolts so you can move motor up and downView attachment 203874
I did the same thing as you , might have learned it from you , as I learned it from this site ---- going to take a pic when I go outside , the rain is almost here , heard it is Baton Rouge , 90 miles away - 30 minutes ago

Back