Chain issues : Schwinn Meridian w/ Predator 79CC

Fishfiles

Local time
12:32 AM
I started a project , found a Schwinn Meridian at the flea market , got a Prediator 79cc for $109 , had a hub adapator , sprocket and chain from a previous build

The sprocket I installed on the trike appears to be 415 chain from my measurements and which chain fits best , can't find a clutch that is 5/8 shaft and 415 chain , closest clutch I found so far is one that fits 40 , 41 and 420 ----- heard they make a chain that is the same pitch as the 415 but is wider ????

Another question would be , the spockets are 12 gauge , is that going to work with the type of hub adaptor I am using?

d63wD51ETv6QOHdbTu6kvA.jpg

Attachments

• RG9dckb7RMyuxUFomQu5rQ.jpg
    RG9dckb7RMyuxUFomQu5rQ.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 70
  • fullsizeoutput_11bf.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_11bf.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 44pmd3DiRXmXef2vOhM3MA.jpg
    44pmd3DiRXmXef2vOhM3MA.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 79
Maybe start here but I have found them on ebay and amazon

Gas bike sells all the parts you need for that or just use their website to find what you are looking for and search elsewhere. I bought the whole 79cc kit for a meridian from them and I have had good service from them the 2 times I have ordered from them
They have the long throttle cable too

Nice trike, should be a fun build. I'm also doing a build with a engine like yours. Don't know if this is your first build or not, so I'm sorry if I'm telling you something you already know. First....... figure an 11 tooth sprocket on the clutch and the 44T (I assume) on the wheel. Are those 26" wheels? Mine is a 20". Anyway, run the numbers through a speed calculator and see how fast you'll be going. To my surprise I was going 56mph with very little torque. Right then I realized I needed a jackshaft arrangement. You might also. Let us know, and your tire size so we can offer more help in the future. Too bad that doesn't have a live axle. It would sure make things easier. There are alternative ways to fabricate a jackshaft besides moving the engine closer to the wheel. Do you have a welder, or was your motor mount already on the frame? Here's a clutch that might be a better deal. BTW, most clutches use a #35 chain. Use a #415 chain from the jackshaft to the sprocket on the wheel. There's a ton of research that goes into all of these builds and we're all willing to help you with any questions you come up with. Best wishes.

Thanks for the reply , yes itis 26 inch tires , yes I have welding machines and am a welder ---

I figured from charts that the 420 and 415 are the same except for roller width , thinking of running the 420 clutch which comes in a 10 tooth and use the 420 chain with the 415 axle sprocket , what you think

Roller width is probably the least critical of the 2 dimensions shown. The others must match exactly.
Here's a chart I found. Been a few years since I've used it and forgot why there's a RED cell. Maybe your chart is better.

Attachments

• Chain Dimension Chart .doc
    53.5 KB · Views: 85
32078.jpg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_11c2.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_11c2.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 44pmd3DiRXmXef2vOhM3MA.jpg
    44pmd3DiRXmXef2vOhM3MA.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 73
  • lGUks7sFTAqw%WZvo4OubQ.jpg
    lGUks7sFTAqw%WZvo4OubQ.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 68
I have two Schwinn meridians one with a 79 cc other with a 212. Both use the same sprocket on the rim but different clutches and I have 420 chain on the 212 and 415 chain on the 79
Your sprocket maybe different then mine but I would really doubt it cause I would guess that steel sprocket no matter who sells it came from the same factory that makes a lot of them

^^^^^ I figured out the spokes of the rim of the Schwinn Meridian are 12gauge --------- forgot I even had a gauge - gauge ------- not much difference in the 415 to 420 chain by the chart , still forgot to count the teeth of the drive axle sprocket today --- I did cut a plate of aluminum for the motor mount

Back