California Call To Arms For A Fastbike Law.

wrong state i know, but do you think HD would be world renowned if this sort of legal BS existed back then?

orville and wilbur would just be another two boys building bikes, mercedes would never have had her father name a car after her, and well... i just ran out of examples. oh. victor would still be using a scythe to cut the lawn.

see that big mansion that just went up down the road? the one that you would never be able to pay off in twenty lifetimes? the person that wrote that BS got well re-imbursed. think he cares about ya poxy 100 dollar bicycle with 200 dollar engine? nope...

I don't see anywhere that I spoke of e-bikes.

I'm also pretty sure it said insurance was not required for a motorized bicycle. If it had I would have never considered wasted my money on a useless motorized bicycle.

Just because the definition of a law says one thing. Its smart to take a good look at "Motor Vehicle Code," TOO. Which boils down to horns, turn signals, brake lights, day time driving light/s head lamp, VIN number, registration, and of course:

16020. (a) All drivers and all owners of a motor vehicle shall at
all times be able to establish financial responsibility pursuant to
Section 16021, and shall at all times carry in the vehicle evidence
of the form of financial responsibility in effect for the vehicle.

I sat down with a California Sheriff, and we both went through his book, and he showed me the vehicle code's. Then he said if he see's me riding my Motorized Bicycle, he would site me for everything, and take the bike.

If I rode an e-bike, I would not care about the law. i'd just ride it.

Last edited:
You posted a disclosure statement from the e-bike law. CVC 406 (b) (4).

And insurance IS required for motorized bicycles (mopeds) that fall under CVC 406 (a).

Insurance is not required for motorized bicycles (e-bikes) that fall under CVC 406 (b).

So with all due respect what exactly is the point of your post?

Cant tell you until I figure out what the point of your post was, and if it was even necessary, which I don't believe so, because you posted the same thing I posted, except you may have an e-bike, and feel that e-bike's are relevant to the conversation, and I don't.

I do believe however, that a lot of people are under the impression that just because. the state of California took the time, and the thought to write something in big capital letters is because: They know from experience that people are slow witted, and they want to get their point across. Then when some knucklehead comes along, and says "But this said I don't need insurance' They can show them "in big capital letters" what it says, and show them the dates of the bills.

I don't own an e-bike, and I don't give a d*** about e-bikes. I only care about GasBikes. Do you understand now.
Please do not respond with anything about e-bikes. The subject matter is "Gas Bikes."

Motor Vehicle

415. (a) A "motor vehicle" is a vehicle that is self-propelled.

(b) "Motor vehicle" does not include a self-propelled wheelchair, motorized tricycle, or motorized quadricycle, if operated by a person who, by reason of physical disability, is otherwise unable to move about as a pedestrian.

(c) For purposes of Chapter 6 (commencing with Section 3000) of Division 2, "motor vehicle" includes a recreational vehicle as that term is defined in subdivision (a) of Section 18010 of the Health and Safety Code, but does not include a truck camper.

"keep it simple stupid"

Last edited:
Well I read the bill. Notice that at the bottom in bold letters it states:

"YOUR INSURANCE POLICIES MAY NOT PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR ACCIDENTS INVOLVING THE USE OF THIS BICYCLE. TO DETERMINE IF COVERAGE IS PROVIDED YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY OR AGENT."
This has nothing to do with "GasBikes". This is a disclosure for 20 mph max electric motorized bicycles or E-BIKES.

I didn't post this you did! I simply clarified as to how it pertains to the California Vehicle Code.

Last edited:
Vehicle code 16020-16033 states:

Yup motor vehicles in California need to be insured. That includes "GasBikes"

I'm also pretty sure it said insurance was not required for a motorized bicycle. If it had I would have never considered wasted my money on a useless motorized bicycle.
You're Pretty Sure???

Last edited:
I don't own an e-bike, and I don't give a d*** about e-bikes. I only care about GasBikes. Do you understand now.
Please do not respond with anything about e-bikes. The subject matter is "Gas Bikes."

The subject maters of this thread that you are high jacking is all about e-bikes. If you want to continue on your idiotic rant about duh I didn't know I needed insurance until I read it in Big Letters and now the sheriff is going to take my GasBike away GO START YOUR OWN THREAD!

From post #1:

California Call To Arms For A Fastbike Law.

Okay so pertaining to EBikes I have been in dialog with my local state assemblywoman. At first she tried to thrust me back to a state senator for national laws. But the federal laws are essentially guidelines policed by the CPSC and states can append that. Example: Nationally electric bikes are maxed at 750 watts, however in California it is 1000 watts. I had posted links to that in another topic............

NOT - California DMV Motorcycle handbook page 03

NOT - California DMV Motorcycle handbook page 03-
Well I read the bill. Notice that at the bottom in bold letters it states:

"YOUR INSURANCE POLICIES MAY NOT PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR ACCIDENTS INVOLVING THE USE OF THIS BICYCLE. TO DETERMINE IF COVERAGE IS PROVIDED YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY OR AGENT."

Vehicle code 16020-16033 states:

DMV Motorcycle Handbook 2013.jpgNOT - California DMV Motorcycle handbook page 03

Back