Building a 4-stroke bicycle

Yeah that Don guy doesn't really answer some questions with a straight answer.

If I take the clutch off. Will I be able to tell the shaft type?

Better picture:
20240323_205426.jpg

Does anyone have any other recommendations on a belt drive?

Or am I only stuck with the grubee ones.

That is a good transmission. You can adjust the belt tension without having to remover the cover. Not really important. I only check mine once a year. It also appears to have a built in freewheel. Mine does not. Personally, I would not want one because you will not have compression braking and will rely on your brakes 100%. I use my brakes very little. All the belt drives are the same except for the FW. They come with a 5:1 ratio (100T) but an 80 tooth pulley can be substituted. All have the same clutch bell and bearings. Whether you have a tappered shaft or not is the critical question here.

The gold cup on the right side of the picture is refered to as the clutch bell. The guts of the clutch (friction shoes and springs) go inside of this bell. It appears that the clutch guts do not come with this transmission. The clutch goes on the motor shaft and the hole in the center must match the shaft. Your shaft will be either tapered of straight. This is the choice you'll have to make when ordering the clutch.

Sorry I answered this before going back and looking at previous posts. My bad! Go ahead and buy this trany you've been looking at unless you want one that does not have a freewheel. It will bolt right up with no problems at all. You're good to go. Don't worry about the bearing going out. Chances are you'll never replace it, but if you have to it's no big deal. The bearing and belt can be bought anywhere. The guys are correct telling you that Grubee will try and make you think he has the only parts in town. Not true.

Does anyone have any other recommendations on a belt drive?

Or am I only stuck with the grubee ones.
Just make sure it's not a bushing clutch one. I had 2 problems the steel guides on the jackshaft pulley separated from it so I had to rivet them on. And the bushing is crap luckily you have the tapered shaft that uses a bearing mounted transmission. And yes they do make cheaper belt drive ones with a bearing.

Back