seat and down tubes are too narrow for engine mount

no i dont know how to weld, would a two part epoxy be sufficient to get the same result? jb weld comes to my mind
If you're lucky, only your pride, some bruising, and scrapes may occur. If you aren't so lucky a trip to the hospital or even worse.

If you can't weld find someone who can.

The shims could potentially be just jb welded to the frame. The clamping force of the engine should also help keep them in place.

The shims could potentially be just jb welded to the frame. The clamping force of the engine should also help keep them in place.
I would say true if there where 8 bolts holding it on instead of 4. In the video you can see the bottom of the suppport platform touches the tubes on both ends. One could get some ⅛ flat bar and heat bend it to better fit. I'd even go as far as welding some threaded rod couplings above or below the platform holes so 4 more bolts could be used. Last of all, once every thing was fitted, tightened, and there was good chain alignment I'd tack weld the platform and the 4 hole clamps to the frame.

By doing this you'll have something very solid for the engine to mount to.

After taking another look at the video it appears the mounting plate is on upside down. Remove the mounting plate from the engine. Flip it over and see if that lines up better.

After taking another look at the video it appears the mounting plate is on upside down. Remove the mounting plate from the engine. Flip it over and see if that lines up better.
the nount plate is on the correct way, i watched and i see how it looks upside down though.

Could you shim it up with a split heater hose or something similar?
it may work i hadnt thought of that idea, if i have some laying around ill report back with results

the nount plate is on the correct way, i watched and i see how it looks upside down though.

it may work i hadnt thought of that idea, if i have some laying around ill report back with results
You do have your mount plate put together the right way. However, nothing is tight. It appears you need steel shims and I'd add 4 more bolts into the extra side mount holes on the cast fittings; for a total of 8 bolts on the sides.

I personally wouldn't use rubber to shim with; it tends to wear out over time. Adjust the cast to where it's touching the frame tubes. Once fitted together you can put tac welds on the top and bottom of the shims. You could even tac weld the clamps to the shims. This should then give you a really strong mounting platform.

Back