BMP kit in rain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avOiTUcD4Y Trunk Monkey (insurance ad, funny!)

Seriously, why don't the roller drive makers just collaborate on a wet-weather tire? I think the Tioga City Slicker would probably be a good start, with dual center bands and a water gap in the absolute center of the tread, and large sipes or chevron shaped cuts. Its a 1.5"x26 gumwall MTB slicker.

I finished installing the BMP friction drive on my Terra Whizz Wheel trike,even put a fabric body around the trike and it works great. Had it up to about 30 mph with no problem. I have the 4 cycle subru motor and the wheel is 20 inches. It still slips a lot on wet pavement. I think I put enough pressure on the tire for the roller to grab. Maybe it is the type of tire.?????

As nice as it turned out, I just stick to my neighborhood. I has planned to take some local trips with it but now I find I don't have the courage to take it anywhere do to traffic and dangerous attitudes of some drivers tward the trike. Too bad.

Will Snow

Do you have any pictures of the TW trike and the fabric body? I'd love to see that.

I also have the Subaru/Robin 33cc EH035 4 stroke engine and a BMP kit on my Rans recumbent with a 20" wheel. I love that combo. Get 180 MPG and go about 25 MPH with a 1" roller for my 175 pounds.

FWIW, if it gets wet at all (even a puddle), it slips like crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avOiTUcD4Y Trunk Monkey (insurance ad, funny!)

Seriously, why don't the roller drive makers just collaborate on a wet-weather tire? I think the Tioga City Slicker would probably be a good start, with dual center bands and a water gap in the absolute center of the tread, and large sipes or chevron shaped cuts. Its a 1.5"x26 gumwall MTB slicker.

As much as it is advertised I think it is a selling point.

A selling point for kits that cost twice as much.

Why would Staton want to sell a roller and tire combo that doesn't slip in the rain ?

Then their cheapest kit would be their best ! ! !

It is just a matter of time before BMP figures it out ! :cool:

I've found tires are not the problem with friction drives slipping in wet conditions, the material used in drive spindles is. There's a balance IE: A steel spindle wears well and last but slips when wet. I have a friction drive that uses an aggregate stone roller that doesn't slip in the wet but it can wear tires quickly and wears out itself if used much on dry surfaces.

Last edited:
The main problem with motorbiking in the rain is most every motor we use was not meant to be used in the rain. Almost no one weed wacks in the rain.

Running those little motors in the rain can't be good.

edit. I called Honda. They said don't run the gxh50 in the rain.

Last edited:
In defense of friction drives, I've asked before in these pages on several occasions, "who rides in the rain?" Most of us avoid it when we can, but sometimes we can't

That's why I've come to say riding in the wet or on wet surfaces. Sometimes I'm forced to ride between rain showers, or head out on a day that's clear and rain moves in and catches you, sometimes just getting home means you ride on wet streets. Up here in the fall, riding back roads there are plenty of hills, I've had slippage issues with just wet leaves, the day after a rain, the leaves on the roads hold enough water to make the spindle slip.

More information on friction drive rollers

I posted this information about the Zipcycle Friction drive roller system back in 2007:
"...we made extensive tests of every type of roller from knurled aluminum (too abrasive on the rear tire) to modified skateboard wheels. We sent a skateboard wheel off to a chemical lab, and found it was primarily polyurethane. We discovered that polyurethane can be compounded from any Shore Number (an industry measure of hardness) from rock-hard to gummy soft. We tested the Shore hardness of a street tire, and ordered polyurethane rollers that were just slightly harder than the tire compound (this was so that the majority of wear would be on the tire). The result was a roller that gave an excellent grip, but was long wearing. We found we could ride in the rain or morning dew without slipping."

From my own experience of riding in the rain, with the polyurethane drive rollers we could ride normally in the rain or in the wet dew, as long as we avoided puddles of standing water. Then, but only then, could we notice any slippage. We did find, however, that maintaining rear tire air pressure (approx. 45 lbs psi.) was critical to maintaining the necessary pressure on the drive roller.

Still having fun in retirement (at age 72)
Tom Bartlett

Back