Bike wont start - New Build

It's a bofeng like the attached. I'm fairly new to these parts so excuse my ignorance here lol. I didnt know there was a lever inside to adjust.
I might also add another question.

On the needle valve that slides into the top of the carburetor, there are 5 notches/grooves on it that sets the amount of fuel that the float allows the motor to use...What groove is the C clip set on???...Also what is your elevation above sea level??? This can make a difference as to where you want to set it to.

Slide Needle Grooves.JPG
Slide Assembly.JPG
L-R Slide Needle - Slide Needle Jet - Main Jet.JPG

I might also add another question.

On the needle valve that slides into the top of the carburetor, there are 5 notches/grooves on it that sets the amount of fuel that the float allows the motor to use...What groove is the C clip set on???...Also what is your elevation above sea level??? This can make a difference as to where you want to set it to.

View attachment 193986 View attachment 193987 View attachment 193988
I left the c clip position where it came with stock, I think it was the 2nd notch on the richer side. My location is Toronto so approx 76m above sea level.

What brand or kind of carburetor are you using that doesn't have a float lever in the bowl???...That carburetor looks like a BoFeng to me and it definitely has a float and lever inside the bowl.

I did notice also that you seem to have quite an angle on the motor which is not bad in itself but the carburetor needs to be more level or it just will not start or run correctly...These carbs don't do well at all if angled more than 10 degrees off of level because everything is gravity feed, no fuel pumps here.

20230620_193353-jpg.193962
If @Silver Surfer wants to correct that angle, a simple muffler clamp on the front mount will jack up the front and level the carb. Get the 1 3/8-1 1/2 clamp and use both parts. Put the clamp side between the frame and the plate. Might have to enlarge the holes in the plate.

If @Silver Surfer wants to correct that angle, a simple muffler clamp on the front mount will jack up the front and level the carb. Get the 1 3/8-1 1/2 clamp and use both parts. Put the clamp side between the frame and the plate. Might have to enlarge the holes in the plate.
Forgot to mention, loosen the tensioner before you start. You might not even need it.

I think you're not letting it try to start long enough. Turn the choke on and keep pedaling. During break-in these engines are harder to start. Even after break-in, I'm usually pedaling with the clutch engaged for 30 to 40 feet before it decides to start firing. Then again, every engine is different. Some fire up right away. New plug and all previous suggestions will help though.

If the plug is damp when you pull it, that's a good sign.

Also check the gap on the spark plug. Should be around 0.026" or so (opinions vary). From my experience the NGK's usually come gapped properly but it's a good idea to check it anyways. You might need to go get some feeler gauges from cdn tire

Always check the simplest things first.

Is the kill switch on? Is your spark plug tight or is it leaking compression? Are you getting fuel in the cylinder? Are all of your gaskets there?

So some great news and some what more to learn news!

I left the pin where it was, installed a new NGK spark plug, opened the choke all the way, started peddling, let the clutch go and kept peddling for about 10 seconds while twisting the throttle, she fired up! I was able to ride around for about 15 mins at about 20km/hr.

The other bad news is that the bike dies when I pull in the clutch to let it idle. To keep it from stalling I have to pull on the throttle at a stop. Any ideas here?

Also, My CNC sprocket bolts came loose and my chain broke.. I guess I didnt have it aligned properly... luckily I didnt get hurt either.

So some great news and some what more to learn news!

I left the pin where it was, installed a new NGK spark plug, opened the choke all the way, started peddling, let the clutch go and kept peddling for about 10 seconds while twisting the throttle, she fired up! I was able to ride around for about 15 mins at about 20km/hr.

The other bad news is that the bike dies when I pull in the clutch to let it idle. To keep it from stalling I have to pull on the throttle at a stop. Any ideas here?

Also, My CNC sprocket bolts came loose and my chain broke.. I guess I didnt have it aligned properly... luckily I didnt get hurt either.

Maybe turn up the Idle Screw

Time to get that part put back together then I guess...lol...Here are some instructions from the manual of the correct way to do it in screenshots below...Some of this is very specific, you don't just keep tightening the nuts and bolts and call it good, it is done in a very specific way...Hope this is of some help to ya.

Screenshot_2023-06-21_13-36-36.png

Screenshot_2023-06-21_13-37-17.png

Back