Bicycle chain vs 415 chain on engine side

The Wallymart chain fit the rear sprocket better (less slop) and cleared the housing on
the engine better. My only concern at the time was how it would hold up. I think it's
doing ok.

Last edited:
As far as fit.
I'm not totally sure what fits and don't mysely.

I tried to run 18 speed chain and it will not fit the motor sprocket.
I am using the chain that came with my kit.
which is only a little wider.
Is bmx chain wider inside than 18 speed chain.?

I got a # 41 chain and it is huge.
I don't use it.

You can only replace the 415 chain if your motorised bicycle engine has an output shaft sprocket that is designed for 1/8 inch chain.

Someone please feel free to correct me in say that these engines are fitted with a sprocket designed at 3/16 of an inch and in so saying a 1/8 inch chain will not fit on a 3/16 sprocket.

I've been through this process with my SickBikeParts Jackshaft kit - anyway, i like the "look" of a big beefy chain spinning around in the engine case and onto the 17 tooth jackshaft sprocket.
Considering the 415 chain i'm using is only 15 outer plates long, it's amazing how well the chain has taken to wizzing around over the last 1350 kilometers, although the rollers are well lubricated with 2-stroke oil being thrown around inside the output shaft sprocket area, either by design or just leaky crankshaft seals.

Fabian

Last edited:
I have 3 diff sprockets all
together.

One has the thick teeth. = 415 chain.
Don't fit my motor.
Bore is too big and so is keyway.

one i bought from DAX.
Right size bore and keyway.
teeth are .115 wide.
Just short of 1/8"

The one that came with my motor.
Approx 1/8" wide teeth.

Now the one on the motor wouldn't accept the chain i bought at the bike shop.

I'll have to check the one from DAX.

The chain i am using is a little bigger than the bicycle chain but no where near the 41 chain from the mower store.

It came std with the grubee kit.
and was not the hd chain.

I'll have to see when i get home.
I'm back to work now.

My kit says it comes with the std 410 chain.

But is that the same as the #41

I must be missing something.

The bottom of it

Ok i did some investigating.

410 is a chain size for BMX

It will fit on the motorbikes that use 410 chain.
If your kit is for the HD 415 chain it may not take bmx "410 chain"

Now ansi #41 chain is not the same as 410 chain.
It is much larger.

The big chain in the picture is the #41 the middle chain is 410
and the right chain "smallest" is the 18 speed chain.

The 18 speed chain won't fit the sprockets.

Now 415 i don't have any so i don't know.

The sprocket on the right is for the 415 chain.
The one on the left is 410.

So don't buy 18 or multi speed chain.

Buy BMX chain.

I'm glad i got myself straitend out.

ok lets try this again

Attachments

• chain1.jpg
    chain1.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 606
  • chain2.jpg
    chain2.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 513
  • sprocket.jpg
    sprocket.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 469
  • sprocket2.jpg
    sprocket2.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 447
There all all kinds of sprockets and chains out there on these kits..the 415 will not fit properly inside of the crankcase of some motors..myself and others think the 415 chain is overkill...anyway this is a trial and error thing for each individual motor and bike..when you buy a chain do not just slap it on and go..wind it around each sprocket it is going to contact as far as you can..look close..as the links wind are they still fitting the teeth 3/4 of the way around as they did in the beginning??...after 3 different chains I bought a KMC BMX KOOl chain..perfect..done I have the 415 chain and a 36 tooth sprocket that came in my bike and motor kit to build... But the chain only goes around the rear sprocket about two-thirds of the way and then doesn't fit down on the teeth is that normal!? It sounds like you're saying to just run the bike anyway and then will the chain eventually work its way down on all the teeth!?

Back