Best bike for Phantom85 build… plus any advice would be appreciated

TheSpeedyNeighbor

Local time
1:47 PM
I finally settled for a Phantom85 v3 kit and I need fresh frame strap it to. I’m looking for a steel framed beach cruiser but I’m running into some problems.

Problem One: How do you properly convert a cruiser with coaster brakes into a freewheel? I’ve seen videos of people just gutting the rear wheel and essentially jerry rigging the wheel to spin free. I feel like this is a hazard so I’m not interested in single speeds unless I can properly convert it without any jerry rigging. I would appreciate it if anyone could point out conversion kits or specific parts that could safely fix this. Ultimately maybe jerry rigging it is safe idk.

Problem Two: After looking at many brands of 7 speed cruisers the “Kent Bayside 26” 7speed cruiser” seems to be the most commonly used for bike builds. Is there a huge difference between brands or is the simplest answer the best solution? I know that a steel frame is necessary, which the bikes I’ve looked at have all have this in common. I’ve looked at other brands such as Micargi and Retrospec but they are either pricey or they have bad reviews.

If anyone has some tips or experience with a phantom85 build I would appreciate any advice you have to offer. I know this will be discouraged but I don’t feel like it’s necessary to blow wads of money on disk brakes, tuning wheels etc… The area where I drive just doesn’t require any hard braking and from the videos and pictures that I’ve seen of people who have put Phantom85’s on stock bikes they seem to work just fine.

Thanks…

I suggest ditching the rag join with the phantom. I'm currently building one on a hyper cruiser from Walmart
20240217_211956.jpg

As far as gutting the coaster, it is completely safe as long as you grease everything properly during reassembly. I've done it on my cranbrook and had a few hundred problem free miles.

I have also built mine starting with the Hyper beach cruiser steel frame bike since it is one of the strongest built steel frames that you can actually buy for cheap on a budget at Wally World...lol.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-26-Men-s-Beach-Cruiser-Bike/299035532

Here is the URL as to how I built it and the pics of the finished product are below that.

You WILL want the best brakes you can get when using a Phantom motor though, I found that out REAL quick...lol.

DSCN0229.JPG

DSCN0228.JPG

DSCN0230.JPG

DSCN0227.JPG

I suggest ditching the rag join with the phantom. I'm currently building one on a hyper cruiser from Walmart View attachment 211777

As far as gutting the coaster, it is completely safe as long as you grease everything properly during reassembly. I've done it on my cranbrook and had a few hundred problem free miles.
Can you link the parts you used for the disk brakes? I tried to figure that out but I couldn’t find any kits specifically for a beach cruiser. Are your wheels the stock wheels that came with the bike? Where did you get the engine mount/adapter and is it necessary for the engine to fit on this particular frame?

Edit: I’m looking all over how to put disk brakes on a cruiser and it doesn’t make sense. How do you attach the disk to the wheel itself? Are the wheels threaded for an adapter or do you have to get a hub where you would have to take off all of the spokes and reassemble everything? If I can’t attach the disk brakes to the stock wheels then I’m just going to go with the traditional rim brakes.

I have also built mine starting with the Hyper beach cruiser steel frame bike since it is one of the strongest built steel frames that you can actually buy for cheap on a budget at Wally World...lol.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-26-Men-s-Beach-Cruiser-Bike/299035532

Here is the URL as to how I built it and the pics of the finished product are below that.

You WILL want the best brakes you can get when using a Phantom motor though, I found that out REAL quick...lol.

View attachment 211785

View attachment 211786

View attachment 211787

View attachment 211784
I want to be able to use the stock wheels that comes with the bike. Can I mount disk brakes to the frame and stock wheels? What parts would I need to do that? I researched this forever but there’s no clear answer/kits that would work. As far as I can tell at least.

Can you link the parts you used for the disk brakes? I tried to figure that out but I couldn’t find any kits specifically for a beach cruiser. Are your wheels the stock wheels that came with the bike? Where did you get the engine mount/adapter and is it necessary for the engine to fit on this particular frame?

Edit: I’m looking all over how to put disk brakes on a cruiser and it doesn’t make sense. How do you attach the disk to the wheel itself? Are the wheels threaded for an adapter or do you have to get a hub where you would have to take off all of the spokes and reassemble everything? If I can’t attach the disk brakes to the stock wheels then I’m just going to go with the traditional rim brakes.
I have a set of wheels I ordered separately., I made the front mount, and I don't think discs is possible with stock wheels.

I want to be able to use the stock wheels that comes with the bike. Can I mount disk brakes to the frame and stock wheels? What parts would I need to do that? I researched this forever but there’s no clear answer/kits that would work. As far as I can tell at least.
Almost all of the stock wheels on Wally World and big box store bikes are total garbage and will not last for any length of time...That is why seasoned builders will ALWAYS change out the wheels to either what @GW"s Motorized has bought for spoked rims, or the 3 spoke mag rims like what I bought as long as your doing street riding since mags suck for offroad...The added bonus going with the mags if you read my "tutorial" is that they come with the disk brake calipers, brake pads and rotors and spacer in between 36 tooth sprocket and rotor all necessary for running the disk brakes.

All of this information is in my tutorial.

Almost all of the stock wheels on Wally World and big box store bikes are total garbage and will not last for any length of time...That is why seasoned builders will ALWAYS change out the wheels to either what @GW"s Motorized has bought for spoked rims, or the 3 spoke mag rims like what I bought as long as your doing street riding since mags suck for offroad...The added bonus going with the mags if you read my "tutorial" is that they come with the disk brake calipers, brake pads and rotors and spacer in between 36 tooth sprocket and rotor all necessary for running the disk brakes.

All of this information is in my tutorial.
I think my next bike is gonna have mags. I dig the look and am looking forward to building a more modern looking cruiser.

I think the Kent Bayside is a great basis for a motorized bike. You've got gears and freewheel, V style brakes. and even fenders (which can be dangerous on a motored bike if they're the wrong kind).

Kent-26-in-Bayside-Men-s-Cruiser-Bike-Gray_59184c2d-2b77-46b9-b649-ba0a2cd69546.9d895d0112330bc2f04875ab1b31fe8f.jpeg

I expect it could handle a Phantom, though if you can spend more you may want one with disc brakes.

I think the Kent Bayside is a great basis for a motorized bike. You've got gears and freewheel, V style brakes. and even fenders (which can be dangerous on a motored bike if they're the wrong kind).

Kent-26-in-Bayside-Men-s-Cruiser-Bike-Gray_59184c2d-2b77-46b9-b649-ba0a2cd69546.9d895d0112330bc2f04875ab1b31fe8f.jpeg

I expect it could handle a Phantom, though if you can spend more you may want one with disc brakes.
I think @ImpulseRocket has one with a phantom.

Back