Rear motor mount

graggy

Local time
5:19 PM
The tabs on the strap to hold the rear motor mount on aren’t big enough for the nut and washers to sit on flat. Plus if I keep tightening it down I’ll probably be bending the studs on the motor. Anyone have this issue and what is a good way to fix this? I thought about putting washers on the studs to pack it out to the strap So I didn’t bend the studs. I would have to grind a flat on the washers because there isn’t enough room from the stud to the frame for a whole washer to fit. And I would still have the issue of the washers and nut not sitting flat on the strap. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1313.jpeg
    IMG_1313.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1312.jpeg
    IMG_1312.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1316.jpeg
    IMG_1316.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 87
That’s a good idea! Maybe I could get a piece of small steel tubing so it wouldn’t crush like copper and possibly put a small piece on top of the strap so the washer, lock washer and nut sit flat also if the studs are long enough

Those straps used for the mounts are very flimsy. I had to get longer studs for the rear mount, but I used a saddle from a muffler clamp of the same spacing to replace it.
I ran into something similar when installing my horn. The pot metal strap broke and all I did was tighten it with a screwdriver. I modified an electrical ground clamp for water pipes; it worked out great.

What about taking the studs out and replacing them with appropriate length bolts. My BY engine came with bolts

Attachments

• 2D4D533C-1E3F-429B-927D-4084187E04A6.jpeg
    2D4D533C-1E3F-429B-927D-4084187E04A6.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 79
Back