8 miles into town

Is this a safe commute on a motorized bike?

• Total voters

GW's Motorized

Local time
3:27 PM
I'm moving out to Kentucky in about a month and a half if everything goes well with closing. The place I'm moving to is 8 miles out of town, but they are curvy and hilly roads in the Appalachians. The speed limit there is 55 however locals go flying through there. There's a hill side to one side of the road and usually a steep decline on the other side. There are guard rails, but no shoulders.

My question is do you guys think it would be safe to ride these roads on an MB or am I better off just building them for fun rather than traveling anymore? I think it would be pretty dangerous, but I'm curious what you guys think. Thanks!

I'm moving out to Kentucky in about a month and a half if everything goes well with closing. The place I'm moving to is 8 miles out of town, but they are curvy and hilly roads in the Appalachians. The speed limit there is 55 however locals go flying through there. There's a hill side to one side of the road and usually a steep decline on the other side. There are guard rails, but no shoulders.

My question is do you guys think it would be safe to ride these roads on an MB or am I better off just building them for fun rather than traveling anymore? I think it would be pretty dangerous, but I'm curious what you guys think. Thanks!
Once your there you just might find another way

If you can find a route that isn't so busy or one people don't fly down it could work out. If you still have that 80s honda, it would work better because its going to have better brakes and can keep up with the 40-50 mph speeds on those roads.

It only really takes a weekend or two to get an M endorsement or the kentucky equivalent. https://ride.ky.gov/Pages/index.aspx

If you can find a route that isn't so busy or one people don't fly down it could work out. If you still have that 80s honda, it would work better because its going to have better brakes and can keep up with the 40-50 mph speeds on those roads.

It only really takes a weekend or two to get an M endorsement or the kentucky equivalent. https://ride.ky.gov/Pages/index.aspx
The only road j to town is HWY 3. It's not a long distance, but still dangerous gling under speed. I ended up selling that bike, I was gonna get something better, but I decided to wait until I moved. I was thinking of getting a motorcycle, but for a while I'll probably just drive my truck

If it's a country 2 lane road with no proper shoulder that can be ridden you're asking for a disaster, my opinion. You need something to do 65mph easily. A lot of DUI's on those roads and people that won't slow down for a bicycle. Wide mirrors on trucks, oncoming traffic won't let them move over for ya, not good in my book.

I wouldn’t be too thrilled about this travel arrangement.
Myself.. I never put myself in a position for high speed traffic to approach me from behind.
You’ll never see it coming.

If the described road is the only way to do the 8 miles then the only other option is travel at it head on.

8 mile… hmmm..

So it sounds like we're all agreeing that this is not a safe commute on an MB. I figured this much. I'll probably end up driving my truck more often then not.

Do y'all think it's safe on a motorcycle that can maintain the speed limit or not?

Back