8 miles into town

Is this a safe commute on a motorized bike?

• Total voters
So I see along the route there's a few passing zones. Once you get near town there's a good bit of passing zones and the speed limit is 35 mph. After you get out of town what is the speed limit 55 mph or does it go to 45 mph then 55 mph? There's 3 cemeteries along the way and a few side streets. You could do a courtesy dip into any of those areas to let any built up traffic by you.

You should be able to do some rolling hill techniques as well. Gather as much down hill speed as possible; this'll give you the momentum to go up hill fairly fast.

This isn't a very high quality video and it doesn't have the whole route but this is what 70 is like. The area after the look out point has the most curves in it. Where the video ends at the road to the old fire tower is where my last X 18 year old grandson got killed. Bad brakes coming down a steep hill; flipped the SUV. He was a front seat passenger and the only one of the 4 riders who wasn't wearing a seat belt. The other 3 only got minor injuries.

Once you get used to mountain riding you'll love it.

So I see along the route there's a few passing zones. Once you get near town there's a good bit of passing zones and the speed limit is 35 mph. After you get out of town what is the speed limit 55 mph or does it go to 45 mph then 55 mph? There's 3 cemeteries along the way and a few side streets. You could do a courtesy dip into any of those areas to let any built up traffic by you.

You should be able to do some rolling hill techniques as well. Gather as much down hill speed as possible; this'll give you the momentum to go up hill fairly fast.
The route looks similar in the curves, however the hwy 3 is alot more ups and downs. I'm gonna look over the route on google street veiw because I don't fully remember it. My Aunt lives a bit further down the road from there (15 miles out of town I think) but directly off the highway. I think it just goes straight to 55 heading out. Thanks for the advice and help. I'd like to get more ised to the route and see what kind of traffic there is before I fully decide. I am thinking it's safe enough for a motorcycle, but a MB I feel is borderline stupid.

Hmm, the route isn't too bad since it's not that far out of town. There's not as much up and down as I thought. The further out you get on hwy 3 the worse it gets. Maybe a trip to town isn't bad, but there is no way I would want to go any further out on hwy 3 on an MB.

Riding on the road you described scares the hell out of me. Cars win every time over bikes and there are a lot of crazy unfocused drivers out there. I'd hate to hear you got hurt my friend. Safety only comes with keeping up with the traffic as I see it. You'll need to build a faster safer bike when you get there.

Riding on the road you described scares the hell out of me. Cars win every time over bikes and there are a lot of crazy unfocused drivers out there. I'd hate to hear you got hurt my friend.
I think I will not ride those roads on an MB. I'll still continue to build them, maybe I'll start selling them. But I think a motorcycle is way safer since it will keep up with traffic. At least I'll live down a nice and long 1 lane road that has very little traffic (just me, the neighbors, or anyone visiting). This should be able to fuel my thirst for building and testing these bikes lol.

I think I will not ride those roads on an MB. I'll still continue to build them, maybe I'll start selling them. But I think a motorcycle is way safer since it will keep up with traffic. At least I'll live down a nice and long 1 lane road that has very little traffic (just me, the neighbors, or anyone visiting). This should be able to fuel my thirst for building and testing these bikes lol.
Myself riding into town on 3 from your road, I'd ride my bike on it. I also have operating equipment on my bike though. However, I wouldn't be turning to the right onto 3 from your road. It isn't because of the 55 mph limit. It's the very sharp curves. A motorist entering a sharp curve may not see you on the other side of the curve.

Welcome to the Land Locked club. I an not able to commute on a motor bike from my home either. I have a circular neighborhood with one entrance in and one out. Speed limit in the Hood is 25. Outside every road is 45 mph with average speed of 52mph. Only the first east west road i enter has a bike lane and it ends in 1 mile in either direction. There are no north and only two connecting roads in that 2 mile strretch.

The only time I venture out is very early on a sunday morning returning before 10:00 am.

Welcome to the Land Locked club. I an not able to commute on a motor bike from my home either. I have a circular neighborhood with one entrance in and one out. Speed limit in the Hood is 25. Outside every road is 45 mph with average speed of 52mph. Only the first east west road i enter has a bike lane and it ends in 1 mile in either direction. There are no north and only two connecting roads in that 2 mile strretch.

The only time I venture out is very early on a sunday morning returning before 10:00 am.
Once when I was on 70 going to Crossville TN there was 2 cyclist on the road which has a 55 mph speed limit. They were using Lane Control. I gave them a slight courteous beep with my car horn. They held up their hand to acknowledge me. I then proceeded to go into the other lane to pass them just like I'd do any other slow moving vehicle such as a farm tractor. This whole process took less than a minute to complete.

Another technique I like to use on roads I'm familiar with is: if I come to a section where the shoulder is narrow, I'll get into the center of the lane and use Lane Control. I also put my right signal light on to communicate to traffic behind me I intend to get back onto the shoulder when it's safe for me to do so.

It's dangerous, yes. Can it be done? yes.

Personally I wouldn't go on a road if I couldn't at least do the speed limit.

If you do, get a super bright traffic vest.

It all comes down to people's awareness and respect for bikes, both are in short supply today.

Back