Where do you ride? (road, side of road etc.)

I would either find a new road... A new sidewalk... Or i'd slow down so that people could pass me quicker.

Tough to really say without actually seeing the lanes & density of traffic, tho.

Simply ride where you feel safe. If you feel nervous on the edge of the road... Don't ride there, or at least get a mirror. There's no way you could feel nervous in the middle, however... Because you force those behind you to pass you only when there's a ton of room.

Just all depends, really...

I ride a lot pulling a large Aosom trailer loaded with camping gear, it's been my experience that if you try and take over any lane at 30 miles an hour you aren't going to have it for very long.

Here in Nova Scotia we ride as close to the right as possible but still out far enough to avoid hitting any pot holes or sewer plates. There was just a new law passed that prevents cars from coming any closer than one meter. If they cannot pass without coming any closer than they have to slow down and wait until it is safe. So even if you are riding the white line cars cant pass because if they stay one meter away than they will cross the center line, which they cannot do legaly. The police do not bother us at all if anything they will stop you just to ask about them, many members of the police force ride gobs

The situation I wrote about is in my suburb on the outskirts of Atlanta where traffic is relatively light compared to Atlanta. I really want to try and commute to downtown Atlanta because I'm really hurting for gas money in my car these days. However, the idea of commuting in Atlanta is quite intimidating as Atlanta drivers are undeniably aggressive since everyone is trying to make lost time from the extreme traffic. Even on the neighborhood backroads, people go at a pretty good clip since everyone has a shortcut!

How do others cope with traveling in urban cities? I guess just get out there and do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I commute into downtown Hartford, CT from an adjacent suburb, about a 4-mile trip each way. There is no "easy" route available to me without any congested roadways, but I've found a reasonably satisfactory "path of least resistance." There's still plenty of potential for all sorts of bike hazards, though, including opening car doors, semi-blind driveways, and right-turning vehicles. I generally hug the right side of the road, except where there are parallel-parked cars.

I go into work (and leave) a little off-peak and the streets are considerably less crowded than even a half-hour earlier. Still, I'm fairly obsessive about keeping up my "situational awareness" as the pilots say. I think that's key - looking all around for ANYTHING (and anyone) that might become a hazard. And keeping to a reasonable speed so you give yourself time to react if necessary.

I try to be flexible, too. As far as looking like a dork sometimes, I don't care what people think - If I find myself coming up to a double-parked vehicle along a busy street, for example, I'll simply shut off the bike and walk it around the obstacle on the sidewalk, fire the bike back up and continue down the road. No big deal.

Left turns are always a challenge. There's one in particular on my commute, two lanes in my direction, one lane oncoming. The oncoming lane gets the light first. My left lane is not a turn-only lane. I keep hand-signaling and looking around, making eye-contact as I wait. Often one of the oncoming drivers will wave me on. If it's super-busy and looks too iffy as I'm getting close to the intersection, I'll go to "Plan B" and walk it at the crosswalk with the motor shut off. To me, the object is to get there in one piece.

The situation I wrote about is in my suburb on the outskirts of Atlanta where traffic is relatively light compared to Atlanta. I really want to try and commute to downtown Atlanta because I'm really hurting for gas money in my car these days. However, the idea of commuting in Atlanta is quite intimidating as Atlanta drivers are undeniably aggressive since everyone is trying to make lost time from the extreme traffic. Even on the neighborhood backroads, people go at a pretty good clip since everyone has a shortcut!

How do others cope with traveling in urban cities? I guess just get out there and do it.
Ahh... Atlanta!!

That's probly my favorite city to drive thru. Everybody's going 90+ on i-85, swerving back and forth over something like 8 to 10 lanes in each direction. Feels like home!!

I'm really not sure about too much off of i-85, but I would be careful. Better safe than sorry is what the wise always say. I might think about a Nuvinci hub if I needed every last ounce of power, and probly add some bigger wheels... and bigger sprockets to actually be able to pedal at higher speeds. Even I'm crazy sometimes... But in a city like ATL, it might be wise to get a motorcycle or scooter. There are other options.

If a bicyclist can do it, then you can do it, too. That much I know.

Ahh... Atlanta!!

... But in a city like ATL, it might be wise to get a motorcycle or scooter. There are other options.

I was really close to buying a motorcycle last year but didn't due to buying a car instead, I got my license and did the msf course, and I've test rode sportbikes and all. I just don't have any money right now to buy one, because I would really just get a simple beginner mc. I think I'll just use the motorbike around the country road suburbs for now, I might cruise around early one weekend morning in the city to get a feel for it if I reconsider.

Btw, people definantly go into supercruise mode on the interstates between the traffic jams!

On tour, I ride all over the road; when there are no cars. Usually i'm about 3 feet to the left of the white line in the road, and when i first hear them coming i pull over to the white line or slightly to the right, and since i have pulled over for them, they generally pull way over for me, like in the passing lane. If I just cruise near or even to the right of the white lane, they usually don't give me this much space. Or course if traffic is in both directions, i'll be in the shoulder, or even in the grass/gravel/weeds, but that is why i use a mountain bike, and also for forest roads, etc.

I read that some members have bikes that can really keep up with traffic around 45mph, and that they ride in the lanes. I just wonder how cars would know the bike is slowing down since most riders don't install rear brake lights on their bikes. This also motivates me to stay to the right.

The local roads here are mule trails that were paved over when the city was incorporated in 1960 to be able sell bonds to pay to pave the streets .
Before that 100 percent dirt roads.
Five point intersections, off camber roads leaning into the hillside, two inches of asphalt directly applied to the desert sand. When it rains the hillside flows into the street.
The street then subsides into the sinkhole that flowing mud cut under the road.
There are no sidewalks .
I ride everywhere it is safe to do so.
No more flats are a must.
The main road is a hiway speeds far greater than I want to travel on a bicycle are necessary.
I usually go cross country for the areas that I have to use hiway 95. Part of the old route 66..

We just got a sewer system. Welcome to the twentieth century. LOL

Last edited:
Back