White wire succses story!!!!

I use a stock 6v generator type headlight. It is as bright as it can be which is not all that bright as far as motorcycle headlights go. Since my system uses a battery, I could use any 6v headlight that I wanted to. The battery runs all my lights and accessories. The white wire keeps the battery charged.

How would you rate your system for night riding? Would there be enough light to ride safely at say 25 mph at night? Can you make a video to demonstrate how much light you're getting? I'm curious as to whether this is a real solution. Mike

I would rate the headlight as marginal. I road around at 15 to 20mph on some back roads and that might be the safe limit. If I planned on riding on poor roads at 25mph, I would get a bigger headlight. My electrical system can handle a bigger headlight with no problem. No, I can't make a video of me using my headlight.

Last edited by a moderator:
About that diode test,mentioned previously in this thread,where you shunt a diode across the WW in either polarity.I don't think it has all much validity,it might just mean that the pos output is a lot lower due to loading by the CD unit,while the neg output is much higher (20V +) so that the diode short disrupts the operation more drastically for that polarity,Until I had gotten a hold of an actual circuit diagram to analyze,I don't think I could make any valid pronouncements,except those based on intelligent experimentation.

About that diode test,mentioned previously in this thread,where you shunt a diode across the WW in either polarity.I don't think it has all much validity,it might just mean that the pos output is a lot lower due to loading by the CD unit,while the neg output is much higher (20V +) so that the diode short disrupts the operation more drastically for that polarity,Until I had gotten a hold of an actual circuit diagram to analyze,I don't think I could make any valid pronouncements,except those based on intelligent experimentation.

I proposed the diode test to see if different motors had different polarities. Until someone confirms that there may be different polarities, I'm going to always recommend a negative ground system.

When you short the diode on a positive ground system, it kills the motor. When you short the diode on a negative ground system, it just shunts some current from the alternator.

Your recommendations are all well and good but essentially somewhat arbitrary,it does not prove you can extract the largest amount of power safely with a negative ground system only that it seems safe.It depends on your power needs I suppose.Etacovda measured a peak voltage of around 7V,which is not all that much but I don't know if that is the norm or not and I have no idea what your charge currents are.

The suggestions were not arbitrary. I did testing before I designed the system. During testing I determined that using one phase would not affect motor performance. I then measured the peak voltages from that phase and selected the most appropriate battery voltage to maximize the charging capability. I would have preferred a 12v system but that would not work with this configuration. 4v may have even been a little better, especially at lower rpm. But 4v lighting and accessories are not readily available. So I chose 6v which is the best compromise. I did some reading on earlier posts in this thread and found that back in January; creamed_Emu described a similar system that was also proving successful.

I’m not trying to extract the largest amount of electrical power possible. I just want a simple charging system that does not affect the motor performance in any way, while still allowing me to run a fairly powerful headlight on occasion. The white wire, half wave, negative ground, 6v lead acid system will do that.

The charge current from the negative ground system is low and cannot keep up on a continuing basis with any sustained loads, hence the battery. The charge current is sufficient to keep the battery charged during intermittent usage of brake lights, horn and turn signals. You need to size your battery to power the headlight and tail light continuously for the amount of time that you might occasionally need them. And then the system will slowly recharge the battery while driving during the day.

Last edited:
You imply that the 6V battery,neg ground system is THE preferred solution to the charging problem and the only one too because a negative conducting diode stops the engine.This is arbitrary,a pos ground -6V or -12V system is certainly possible and can in all probability provide more power,if that is needed.Wether it's as 'safe' is another matter. Your simple system seems adequate for your needs& usage pattern (day/night use) and I am not critisizing it in any way,I just pointed out that it is not the ONLY solution and therefore a somewhat arbitrary one.

There's just one problem: Here in Illiois, the law requires all motorcycles and motorscooters to have the headlamp on during the day while riding. It's a safety issue.
So again, Illinois law prevents innovation and a possible solution.

Back