White wire succses story!!!!

You imply that the 6V battery,neg ground system is THE preferred solution to the charging problem and the only one too because a negative conducting diode stops the engine.This is arbitrary,a pos ground -6V or -12V system is certainly possible and can in all probability provide more power,if that is needed.Wether it's as 'safe' is another matter. Your simple system seems adequate for your needs& usage pattern (day/night use) and I am not critisizing it in any way,I just pointed out that it is not the ONLY solution and therefore a somewhat arbitrary one.

I did not intend to imply that it was THE preferred solution or the ONLY solution. It is MY preferred system. But I would change it if someone finds a simple system that works better. If it were indeed the only solution, we wouldn't even be having these dialogues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I read this entire saga and I have to say, GADZOOKS!!! You people sure are smart. 75% of what I read, I was not able to fully comprehend (electronics being my worst subject in life).

But I am wondering when y'all are going to come up with a FINAL concensus on the best way to power a lighting system for our motorized bikes? And sell a kit?

Scotchmo, I like the look of you're little mounted box full of wonderful things. I saw you're schematic and I could probably figure it out but for me a picture (photos) speak 10,000 words. Would you mind posting a final, condensed version of you're wisdom and include actual photographs of you're circuitry?

Thanks for all the hard work y'all have done. Keep it up, but come up with a final conclusion :)

OK,it's beginning to dawn on me that we may have succeeded to thoroughly confuse our less geeky brethern with all this arcane stuff.Be advised, Schotmo's circuit is perfecty fine if you don't need much juice & can get by with a smallish 6V SLA.If you are thirstier there are other possibilities such as charging a 12V battery to get more stored energy,but some of these might conceivably be a bit riskier as far as messing up the ignition is concerned.

Michigan law (my state) demands a headlight and stop light. I prefer to also have a tail light. Don't care if the headlight is great cause night driving is rare for me. I would rather have a battery with charging system if this can be done. Doesn't have to be great, just ....

I think the above would be the ultimate and thus, what all of our goals should be. Anything less is not a complete system.

So, like I said, Thanks. Now lets talk about getting a battery attached to Shotmo's system.

Last edited:
HT 6v Charging System w/- ground

Ok, I read this entire saga and I have to say, GADZOOKS!!! You people sure are smart. 75% of what I read, I was not able to fully comprehend (electronics being my worst subject in life).

But I am wondering when y'all are going to come up with a FINAL concensus on the best way to power a lighting system for our motorized bikes? And sell a kit?

Scotchmo, I like the look of you're little mounted box full of wonderful things. I saw you're schematic and I could probably figure it out but for me a picture (photos) speak 10,000 words. Would you mind posting a final, condensed version of you're wisdom and include actual photographs of you're circuitry?

Thanks for all the hard work y'all have done. Keep it up, but come up with a final conclusion :)

I started a new thread that is devoted to this very thing. Not the final conclusion but look for:

HT 6v Charging System w/- ground
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=21814

Last edited:
>Not the final conclusion but look for:
>HT 6v Charging System w/- ground

Searching for "HT 6v Charging System w/- ground" leads right back to this thread.

I did not intend to imply that it was THE preferred solution or the ONLY solution. It is MY preferred system. But I would change it if someone finds a simple system that works better. If it were indeed the only solution, we wouldn't even be having these dialogues.

Agreed, Scotchmo.
I've also posted a SIMPLE circuit earlier on this thread that should work fine for most uses, easily adjusted/modified for best results and stressed certain areas to provide efficiency and for reliability reasons, only to be met with insanity by certain individuals.
No worries though...

I like to keep things simple, without the need for such things as indicators, voltage limiters, and such.
My design is basically self limiting/controlling and if configured properly to a suitable battery, the rider never needs to check or worry about it.
Just ride! :cool:

http://www.motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16152&d=1237436026

Agreed, Scotchmo.
I've also posted a SIMPLE circuit earlier on this thread that should work fine for most uses, easily adjusted/modified for best results and stressed certain areas to provide efficiency and for reliability reasons, only to be met with insanity by certain individuals.
No worries though...

I like to keep things simple, without the need for such things as indicators, voltage limiters, and such.
My design is basically self limiting/controlling and if configured properly to a suitable battery, the rider never needs to check or worry about it.
Just ride! :cool:

http://www.motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16152&d=1237436026

Yours is a positive(+) ground system. In my case, that configuration had adverse affects on ignition performance, and it was even possible to kill the motor. I solicited other users to do the shorted diode test on their engines but did not get any takers. So there is still the chance that the motors are different. I'm hoping a negative(-) ground system is the correct arrangement for all motors since that is the defacto standard (except for older British vehicles). But hope does not cut it and I would still welcome some additional data points.

Back