Which carb???

Is the standard "NT speed" carby really so bad? I hear differing opinions. The only folks I see trash them badly are guys with more advanced reed valve style setups. I hear some others not have much good to say, yet still others have sang it's praises, so I am confused?

Is the standard "NT speed" carby really so bad? I hear differing opinions. The only folks I see trash them badly are guys with more advanced reed valve style setups. I hear some others not have much good to say, yet still others have sang it's praises, so I am confused?
It is not bad, but is a very basic carby is all...Think of the JRL BoFeng as an NT, but with much needed improvements is all.

Because of the emulsifier tube in the BoFeng, it is much smoother and responsive throughout all throttle ranges and with the elimination of the "tickler" button which is next to the idle adjustment screw on the NTs, that is no longer a source of fuel/air leakage problems.

The Phantom 85 as well as many other motor kits now come stock with the BoFeng, which again is a much needed improvement of the NT, but is still essentially an NT carby, there are many that will extoll the virtues of other carbs with multi adjustments and a few more horns, bells, and whistles added in, but for the regular, everyday, I just want my bike to run decently kinda guy, these carby's work just fine.

The Phantom 85 as well as many other motor kits now come stock with the BoFeng, which again is a much needed improvement of the NT, but is still essentially an NT carby, there are many that will extoll the virtues of other carbs with multi adjustments and a few more horns, bells, and whistles added in, but for the regular, everyday, I just want my bike to run decently kinda guy, these carby's work just fine.
The BoFeng carb you mention are the exact ones I received with my Amazon kits. I have the HP for clearance only, would much rather have the BF carb. With no room to the seat tube and the extractor on the right, it has to turn to the left and hits the clutch lever.

Over all the HP works pretty good but could be smoother at low rpm.

Do you think retarding the timing would help?

The next bike is a tight fit as well but I will try and make more room with my off set, up a bit, level and turn. I feel it is important to have the carb as level as possible.

Back