Vintage motorcycle tire styles

Thanks. What a cool bike, that place went under didn't it? Will be hopefully test running it this Saturday. Having the tank made now but will use the kit provided tank for the test. Would be nice if it runs. NEXT TIME I will build the bike to fit the underslung tank I have and it will save a lot of trouble.
Can easily make a dummy tank to fit over the store bought tank. I am going to bite the bullet and add those generic springer forks that are on ebay. Fixing to try to install the rear axle stand. I think the white tires will make it look bigger.

29" MTB wheels and tires would probably be closer to the old 28" motorcycle size.
There are a couple choices for wider 29" rims out there.

Three I found:
Snowcat rims: 44mm wide = $50 each
Kris Holm (three models) = $50-$100 each
Salso gordo 29ers: 35mm wide = $100 each

The Snowcats are by far the widest and among the cheapest.
Schwalbe makes Big Apples in 29" sizes, for tires.

Only hang up left is that you pretty much need to build your own frame, if you want anything retro-looking at all. There's a lot of casual/comfort/hybrid bikes around that are 700C wheel size (basically the same diameter as 29"s come out to be) but most of those bikes are not built to take tires so fat. The only frames around for these wheels that can run fat tires are straight-tube MTB's.
~

I am still working on the tire-making project, though I am taking it rather casually.

---------

One thing I realized just now is that to use latex tires, you would probably need to change to using silicone lube on your chains.

Many people who build motorized bicycles have setups that allows the engine-drive chains to rub at least slightly on the side of the tire, and hydrocarbon oils are rather chemically destructive to latex rubber.
~

Yesterday I ran a small test of the first of the machines I need to make tires.

The first machine is the one that produces the necessary fabric, that must have all the threads going one direction only (normally-woven fabric can't be used, it won't work). I had to figure out how to do this myself, since there is no machine I found that would do it. It is the major obstacle to making home-made tires, so I won't show or say how the machine works--but I can show what it makes.

http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dcimper/assorted/inanities/recumbent/tire_making/test01.html

This piece has a few things wrong, but most of those issues are already solved. The thread count ranges from about 40 to about 50 threads-per-inch, but stopping and re-starting the machine causes that. I was making adjustments to it while I was doing this, but running a whole piece without stopping should get it more consistent.

My goal was for an 80 thread-per-inch finished tire casing, so that requires two layers of 40 threads-per-inch that are folded across each other. 80 TPI is rather high for a cruiser-bicycle tire, but about medium for bicycle tires in general. More threads = a thinner casing and less rolling resistance. Cheap tires will have around 40 tpi while higher-end road bicycle tires will have around 120 tpi.

There are no cross-threads at all, the thread is held together only by the rubber. I only put one thin layer of rubber on and I didn't let it cure very long so it tore very easily. The edges are also frayed because the method I had planned to use to cut it off the machine didn't work so well, but I already have a few other things I can try to help that.

--------

With commercially-manufactured tires, they have the fabric made separately on large rolls and they just cut off whatever size they need. You can see huge rolls of it in these two bicycle tire manufacturing videos:

Video below is a Continental factory video, in an episode of "How It's Made"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM_x0qPM8Ok
skip ahead to 1:55 for the fabric

Also there is a Schwalbe video online too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9RzJAWvOMQ
skip to 3:45 for the fabric stuff

They don't say very much about the fabric itself, but then they don't actually make it at the tire factory either.
I did find out how it is made but I couldn't make it the same way they do, because making a machine that could produce continuous rolls like that would require a huge amount of thread at once. The machine I have built can only make enough for one tire at a time. The test sample is only a short piece, but the machine can make continuous pieces long enough for a 29" tire.

Also, they make the fabric separately and coat it with rubber afterward. I figured it would be easier to just coat it with rubber during "weaving", since it is easier for me to spread a thin layer of liquid rubber onto it and let that cure than it would have been for me to roll semi-solid rubber into a very thin unbroken sheet.

------

I am still quite a ways from making a whole tire, but this is one part that you can't do it well without, and making this part was the biggest problem I could foresee.
~

Last edited by a moderator:
The project has been sitting idle for quite a while now, but will be picked up again soon. For a number of months I didn't have the spare money to blow on this, but that aspect of things has improved somewhat.

I am still entirely confident that this is 100% possible to do at home.
Besides the lack of blow money it was stuck at a point where I didn't quite know how to proceed, so I just left off it for a while.

--------

At any time I have about four different projects going at once. ;D

The one I had been working on the most lately was this:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33952

Back