Using the Nu Vinci hub?

So, have we come to the consensus that the NuVinci will handle engine drive, as long as there's adequate bracing of the torque reaction force from the axle?

Yes, although I'm not certain if there has been discussion on using engines equal to or greater than 50cc. I think it's all been 35cc or less. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken. --John

One question for NuVinci owners. I was looking at the NuVinci website and noted the shifter is a right-hand twistgrip. Is it possible to mount this shifter on the left? I'm quite accustomed to my RH twistgrip being the throttle.

It looks like a brake lever is integrated into the NuVinci shifter. If the NuVinci shifter also integrates a brake lever, left-hand mounting won't be possible as the gear indicator would face downward if the brake lever were in a usable position for one's left hand.

So, is the NuVinci twistgrip mountable on the left?

Thanks. :)

The nuvinci controller does not integrate a brake lever, the gearing display simply slips over the brake mounting to save space. You definitely could mount it on the left hand grip the only down side is the gearing display would be upside down and you'd have to twist it the opposite way for shifting up/down. That alone shouldnt be a problem if you start off with it setup like that.
They're supposed to handle something extreme like 95 ft/lbs of torque which I dont think any small engine + pedaling is going to create.

ok - Now, what about using the NuVinci hub with the new DAX rack mounted kit??!! It appears that the drive sprockets on the Stanton version with NuVinci are both on the right side, whereas with the DAC kit you would need the engine driving on the left.
Thoughts?? -- John

Ahhhhh....very observant....The Dax does drive off the right side....Dax uses a jack shaft to
get the power to the left side....so stock it may work easily with the NuVinci....I have though of making a center mount out of the Dax engine but haven't had time to research further....Only thing you may want to look at is the size of the sprocket they use...I believe but don't hold me to it, the engine to jack shaft chain may differ from the second sprocket off the jack shaft to the standard 9 hole mounted sprocket...If this is the case something may have to be changed sprocket wise to make it work easily....Other than the mounting issue (if you ant to try for a center mount and the possible issue with the engine sprocket, everything else would be a cinch since they are readily commercially available....Only a bit of bad news is that I am almost out of the cheap NuVinci hubs and
they may be hard to get the next batch in fast because the factory is getting ready to move next month....Got the bad news today....I am going to see if they can make me a bunch to tide me through the transition time tho.
Hope this helps.
Andrew

Andrew - what about sticking one of your sprockets mounted on the disc side of the Nuvinci hub? Is there not enough clearance? That way you could use the Dax kit as-is with the added benefit of gearing. -- John

If one put a sprocket on the disc mount on the NuVinci, the gearing system is bypassed. The disc mount surface is mechanically connected to the wheel, not the drive input.

The nuvinci controller does not integrate a brake lever, the gearing display simply slips over the brake mounting to save space. You definitely could mount it on the left hand grip the only down side is the gearing display would be upside down and you'd have to twist it the opposite way for shifting up/down. That alone shouldnt be a problem if you start off with it setup like that.
They're supposed to handle something extreme like 95 ft/lbs of torque which I dont think any small engine + pedaling is going to create.

Brilliant, thanks for that. :)

Reversed operation won't bother me much. I'll get used to it, especially as you say, if it is built like that from day 1.

Nope, you're quite right, not gonna find 95ft/lb on anything that looks remotely like a bicycle! :D

Staton has one of his kits incorporating the Honda50 engine on this thing and apparently it doesn't explode. I also read a post by zombiebuilder (i think) that used a jackshaft from a 70cc happytime engine to drive a nuvinci. It bent open his bikes dropouts rather than destroy the hub. I wanna see an Ebike made with one of these things.

Loose - E - Left - E

Both of mine are leftys. but they are both upside down.....no lever on these. Can install on either side. Add your own levers. Just trim the grips....
Looks just like a twist shifter... Only much MO BETTA.. By the way neither of my builds use a Happy Time Motor. & they are both over 5 HP. No happy time could hurt one of these, unless of course a DUMAS were to (i think) try to do it.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Back