Usery Pass Loop

Did you want the Four Peaks road with Ice or without. I am game either way. Actually the Rolls and Wata Ridges areas below Four Peaks provide some great trails. I put on an early (2nd in the state) stage race for mountain bikes back in 1986 or 87 out there. We did a long loop Cross Country race on Saturday and an Observed Trials event Saturday afternoon. Then on Sunday We had a short 1 mile Criterium style race that did about 20 laps in an hour. One of my photos in my album is of the race winner both days riding in a wash Jesse leading Eric as I remember. Jesse Goldsmith leading Wata Race Criterium. This photo is from the area just north of the turn off to Butcher Jones Beach at Saguaro Lake where there is a parking lot and trails and fun stuff....

Last edited:
The rolls out at Saguaro Lake would be a blast too. Thats where I do my testing on my 4wd truck. I have that whole area mapped out on GPS as well.

I was thinking Four Peaks just due to the wide road and access to some elevation to cool off in. We'd have to go up on a off-day so we dont run into a lot of traffic. That'd probably be one of those rides where we load the bikes up on a car to get there, as it'd be a heck of a trip just to the trail head.

There is a nice loop that runs up across the ridge north of Four Peaks that would be perfect to run right now (its at ~6k feet altitude). It is the El Oso mine loop. The west side of the loop has been mostly graded and is mostly up in the pine trees, so would be a nice ride on a bike. The east side of the loop is a lot of fun in a 4x4 truck too. :D

Last edited:
That 6000 ft ride would be a good one now with 115 degree days and all. The winter ride is the rolls at somewhat less than 2000 ft elevation. I never made it to the top to see the El Oso mine loop. Sounds like we have some rides to do.

Today I went on a variation of the Usery Pass loop without most of the pass. Leaving from Country Club and University I went out to Shea and Pima and rode over the hill to Fountain hills. I ran out of gas at the crest of the road and coasted and pedaled to Circle K for gas and drink. I then headed east out on SR 87 to Saguaro Lake / Bush Highway and went right past Usery ( I bet You thought I missed it) Pass I did not go up it as I was pretty tired now and ready to head in, but also wanted to wake up datz510 and give him more incentive to heal up so we can ride some more. Well I got home about 5 hours after I left. I think this was at least 60 miles maybe 70 and I had a blast. The desert is so beautiful as we have had some good rain lately as well as winter rains that set us up for a green desert.

aw man...me, vinnie, my daughter Crystal, the grandkids and my niece from Niagara falls were out at Saguaro lake from approx 6-11am tubing and having a blast
the new bike lane all the way to bush hwy looks good but no lane down the hill to the lake and lots of cars/trucks with trailers
Lenny, you are a braver dude than me

Thanks Bill,

I am a bit more nuts than I look. I may be moving over to that less green party forum as I get threatened by some of the talk going on here. We do have to get together for a night ride as soon as I get some good lights going. I won a full 1970 cruiser Schwinn on ebay today and will be making a bike more like yours soon.

Back