Tip: How to reduce engine noise.

i just got home...about a 4 mile ride, barely warmed up. had to 1/4 choke for 3 or 4 minutes before the smoke was gone. but the air is so crisp tonight she's screamin'!! nobody on the road...HappyX2 quiet and smooth...battery and lights performing...wutta ride...i digress...

MVC-695F.JPG

it's not melting, it's hardening...i'm confident about this one. ok, think back, 60's & 70's, big old V8 under a football field of sheet-metal...do you remember what a clean engine compartment smelled like? with that heater hose all warmed up & baking into shape, that's what my kitchen smells like tonight. i'm not making that up, it's a pleasant flashback :)

would small pieces of a old fan belt work ok .. one that is just the right width jammed in between 2 fins or would this block of air flow ,,
japat

Good Pics! I noticed you skipped every other group of 2 fins .....would it help even more to put a rubber spacer between every fin?
Andrew

Ther reason I skipped slots was becuase I didn't think I needed it between every one. Actually,if you look at the pics again, each fin is damped by the rubber...just in groups of 2. I just thought it might be overkill to do every one.

japat100,

Fan belt should work fine, just use small pieces(maybe 1/4'' cubes?). You'd be surprised how much of a difference just a couple make.

Dan

i live for overkill :p

'sides, i think the line of red dampeners makes for a nice look.

japat100: fan belt is a somewhat firm material, should be fine, but oversize and forcing may break fins....proceed carefully.

again, dan, thanks for bringing an obvious (but overlooked) DIY upgrade to our attention :)

Thanks goes to my buddy Luke who talked me into trying it. Kind of crazy how much difference this little simple mod makes.

Dan

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand why this works? I assume that the "high pitch engine wine" is the cooling fins vibrating?
I always figured it was the gear mesh of the bull and pinion at the clutch assembly. I'll try it! I'm all about getting my bike to be more quiet. These things are pretty loud.

just stick the tip of your finger between the 2 main fins on the head to hear an immediate difference.

as dan said, it might be a good idea to do this before it warms up :eek:

Ok. We have Japat100 wanting to use an old fan belt,Andychville1 wants to use an old inner tube,Augi used a heater hose,iRide used gasket material and I used an old tire.
What else is out there that would work?
I like the fan belt idea. I change fan belts in my cars and my swamp cooler on a regular basis.And it's already in blocks. Just shave it off with a razor. The tire material stayed put after about 50 miles of riding today. It actually doesn't sound like it wants to blow up when I go 23 mph (That's my top speed. With my weight and all(250 lbs.),it seems to stay right there) and when criusing at around 18 mph it just purrs like a kitty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, I gave it a try, I didn't notice any differance at all in noise or vibration with my motor. Its a round head. Fins might be a bit shorter? I won't go this route.
I did however find a great material to use. Go to your local RC hobby shop and get a silicone exhaust coupler. They are inexpencive, they come in several colors and they are designed to take tons of heat. Way more that these little motors produce.

mike
i did not try it yet ,,,when i first heard of this idea i checked the date ,,,could this be the first day of April ,, did one person say it works and everybody followed ,,, maybe its their imagination ,, maybe its a different sound and just as loud ,,,let me think what kind of a rummer can i start,, about transportation and everybody will jump on board and try it ,,, ,for members that do not own a mb ,and have a camel for transportation , did you know that dried camel manure makes a great cup of tea ,, and it is will cure he-cups ,, if anyone has tried it please let us know if it works
japat

Last edited by a moderator:
Back