Stripped stud question?

I have to admit I never owned a CG 2 stroke because I'm a Whizzer 4 stroke guy

But my question is , is there enough meat in the case to just drill the hole deeper and tap some more threads ?
Of course this means a longer stud would be needed
That's a good question. I never thought of that
If you go any deeper, you risk fracturing that cheap, Chinesium, crap aluminum on the lower half.

The biggest cause i've seen for stripped out studs and threads is because they have been over-torqued in the first place, or torqued when the motor is still hot or warm, not waiting for it to get dead cold before doing so.

I was thinking of using one of the aluminum soldering rods to fill the hole with solder, drill and tap new 8 mm threads. I have yet to try this.
I've posted a video where a guy tests the various brands to determine which one is best.
I did a test of this a while back and the stuff I have seems to stick quite well. Here is a link to that.

Well I did watch the vid and Hobart rods won the contest.

Sometimes this works. Say it's 5mm stripped hole, use a 5.5mm tap to rethread it. SAE go a 32nd over. New bolt will have to match. This is an example, actual sizes will have to be sourced. Maybe an SAE is available for a metric or vice versa. Just a lil bigger to rethread it.

A helicoil works just fine for this application. No need to overcomplicate something so simple.

As for going deeper on the case. I would only attempt this on a drill press or mill that has either an accurate depth indicator, or a stop set. In theory the idea is sound. More threads = more area of thread engagement = stronger.

The main issue is, going too far will put the hole into the crank case and that will cause a vacuum leak.

Some cases have a lot more material to work with than others. That is one aspect of the 110cc engines that I do love, they are thick and chunky and have ton of deck material to work with.

Using a hand drill, cut a length of steel tubing the correct length, that'll be your drill bit depth stop

Drill bit length sticking out past the end of the tubing will be the depth

Back