Starting a build in a few months, need advice.

I am planing on building a 4 stroke motorized bicycle sometime mid 2015. I want to use a 2015 Schwinn coffee but I am open to recommended bikes for a build. I do kinda have my heart set on the Schwinn coffee and it looks like it could be a good engine fit without being to tall for me. I am pretty short (5 feet 7 inches) so I don't want a bike that's exceedingly, uncomfortably tall like most motorized bikes seem to be. and from what I've noticed it looks like they wouldn't need that big of a frame size. just seems like more extra unneeded space and frame height. I've ridden on a motorized bike that was to tall for me and it wasn't a very comfortable ride especially during stops and red lights. What 4 stroke bike motors are legal in California and what are reliable brands? I'm looking for something in the 50cc range. (the most common size anyway) So any experts on motorized bicycle building would be appreciated.

Damn! The 7G 4 stroke kit on gasbike.net is not road legal in my state because it doesn't meet California emissions standard and EPA standards. (sigh) Looks like I'll have to chance the flying horse 5G on bike berry. They say its EPA approved and it looks like it is judging by label on the motor on their site. I'm in the process of verifying weather the 5G they have is officially road/EPA legal in California. Gasbike.net said all of their gas motors and kits aren't certified both by the EPA and don't meet California emissions standards therefore if i got any motor kit from gasbike I wouldnt be able to drive it on public roads. I'm just glad I found that out before I decided to order from them. bike berry seems to get allot of good reviews on both their bikes and their motor kits. Anyway what makes a motor EPA/California emissions standard legal? Seems like pretty much any good 4 stroke 50cc would be good enough for any state.

BikeBerry stretches the truth about everything.

Their engines may be 2009 EPA certified but not 2012 certified, hardly anything is 2012 EPA certified because the government was shut down when factories applied and applications have been sitting ever since.

Anyway keep that in mind.

BikeBerry stretches the truth about everything.

Their engines may be 2009 EPA certified but not 2012 certified, hardly anything is 2012 EPA certified because the government was shut down when factories applied and applications have been sitting ever since.

Anyway keep that in mind.
So I guess they cant really come after me if its their fault it didn't get certified lol. Damn government shutdown. That's probably why we don't see very many motorized bikes on the road these days. Hope someone gets on the ball and updates all EPA/CARB certifications for these engine kits. A gas powered motorized bicycle is like the perfect form of transportation for me. I'm single, I don't make allot of money and gas is more expensive than it has ever been. What 4 stroke engines ARE EPA/CARB certified for 2012 and on for $200? can someone direct me to a good site with 4 stroke kits for $200? I might be able to get away with driving a 2009 certified engine around my neighborhood because cops around here rarely mess with people on mopeds, scooters and motorcycles. I knew a guy who had a 200cc scooter and he drove that thing around for years without plates or a license and has never been pulled over. They usually have better things to worry about so I should be fine as long as it's not spewing smoke everywhere as I ride it. That would mean its got a really bad catalytic converter and they would defiantly pull me over for that. Did they at least get newly certified catalytic converters for tail pipes after the government shutdown?

None of these r legal in Florida do to how fast they go I didn't know they would bust your balls for emissions as well what's next they going to outlaw chainsaws to

None of these r legal in Florida do to how fast they go I didn't know they would bust your balls for emissions as well what's next they going to outlaw chainsaws to

The penalties are the worst in my state (California) they have to go by EPA and CARB laws making it harder to get a motor from most sites. To be safe I might have to save an extra $200 (about $420 in total from phantombikes) for the grubbe skyhawk 4G on phantombikes.com They seem much more trustworthy than bike berry to me. And their parts seem to be top quality as opposed to other sites trying to sell cheap junk kits. By the looks of it the phantombikes.com 4 stroke kit & the parts seems to be far better quality than the flying horse 5G on bikeberry. They even have a ghost do it yourself kit for $1,400. It would take me longer to save up for a motor kit but I'm sure I wouldn't regret going the extra mile for quality. Also I would know for sure its California legal because phantombikes.com is in San Diego CA.

To be safe I might have to save an extra $200 (about $420 in total from phantombikes) for the grubbe skyhawk 4G on phantombikes.com
By the looks of it the phantombikes.com 4 stroke kit & the parts seems to be far better quality than the flying horse 5G on bikeberry.
The Phantom 4G is the good one, 4:1 ratio belt with freewheel 80T.
Hence when pedaling you don't have to pull the transfer case pulleys all the way to the clutch bell like a 7G or 5G.

The 5G is a 'stay away from' transfer case just like the Stage III in my book.
Both are really REALLY old tech.

The stage III has 3 gears, and the 5G has a pair of chains.

5Ginside.jpg

Both need lubricant, neither can be adjusted, and neither freewheel before the clutch bell.

The 7G doesn't freewheel before the clutch bell either, but the belt is quite, virtually maintenance free, and can be adjusted.

If you have the money go for the real 4G, otherwise the 7G seems best for the money even though the 5G is the same price.

As for the EPA legal 49cc HS, the engines haven't changed.
Again I have to laugh at Bikeberry's outright lies...
There 5G engine is the HS 142, no changes, it's not 2012 EPA certified, and it's not 3-4HP.

Just peel the 'not legal' motor sticker off and you'll be just fine.

Last edited:
The Phantom 4G is the good one, 4:1 ratio belt with freewheel 80T.
Hence when pedaling you don't have to pull the transfer case pulleys all the way to the clutch bell like a 7G or 5G.

The 5G is a 'stay away from' transfer case just like the Stage III in my book.
Both are really REALLY old tech.

The stage III has 3 gears, and the 5G has a pair of chains.

5Ginside.jpg

Both need lubricant, neither can be adjusted, and neither freewheel before the clutch bell.

The 7G doesn't freewheel before the clutch bell either, but the belt is quite, virtually maintenance free, and can be adjusted.

If you have the money go for the real 4G, otherwise the 7G seems best for the money even though the 5G is the same price.

As for the EPA legal 49cc HS, the engines haven't changed.
Again I have to laugh at Bikeberry's outright lies...
There 5G engine is the HS 142, no changes, it's not 2012 EPA certified, and it's not 3-4HP.

Just peel the 'not legal' motor sticker off and you'll be just fine.

Just a thought, wouldn't a chain be more reliable than a belt drive in the transmission? I suppose it would be like comparing tires to tank treads but I would think a chain based transmission would last longer than a rubber belt drive. I'm not getting a cheap kit but I was thinking of maybe swapping the belt for a chain later on after trying it out with a belt transmission. I'd probably have to swap out the pulley wheels for a set of sprockets though.

Just a thought, wouldn't a chain be more reliable than a belt drive in the transmission?
It's not one chain, its a pair of skinny chains and no way to tension them.
Belts are a lot tougher than they used to be, the serpentine belt in your car is good for 100K miles.
The T-belts in the 4 and 7G's are adjustable and quite.

I'd probably have to swap out the pulley wheels for a set of sprockets though.
Can't there from here, not easily anyway.
The 'good clutch' sits in a bearing as part of the 4G body, the 7G just has a big hole there.

It's not one chain, its a pair of skinny chains and no way to tension them.
Belts are a lot tougher than they used to be, the serpentine belt in your car is good for 100K miles.
The T-belts in the 4 and 7G's are adjustable and quite.

Can't there from here, not easily anyway.
The 'good clutch' sits in a bearing as part of the 4G body, the 7G just has a big hole there.

Good to know. I guess I could chance the 7G kit. Are the parts in the 7G kit reliable? (mount, rear sprocket, extended pedals, throttle, etc.) I don't really question the quality of the motor itself seeing its the same Hausheng 4-cycle engine but the parts that it comes with are to be questioned regarding the quality of items included in the kit. Also, hows the speed and acceleration of the 7G?

Last edited:
Well, it's just a 49cc engine, the kit gearing give you ~25MPH on a 26" wheeled bike, a bit more with 29" wheels but without a little pedal help it doesn't fly off the line.

Jackshafted with a 3 speed is a different story of course.

Back