speed and gear ratio, friction/chain drive questions

Alaskavan, thanks and hat off to you for your courages move to saw your trike into 2 ;-)

What would be the category/penalty if you were outfitted with an engine around 50 cc? Would it then be classed as a moped?

Because, in the interest of success, and especially in the pursuit of climbing steep highways in the Chinese outback, that would seem to be the more reasonable option.

I haven't heard of the R/S 25 cc doing anything more than city puttering-around with a light weight rider.

I don't mean to dampen enthusiasm, but having lugged maybe 300 pounds for 1,100 miles, with the R/S 35cc, I'm sure your route will be a LOT tougher.

well, laws are never clearly defined in China, it is a deliberate act, not incapability.

I get really ****ed off for such encounters, when I am right I would take the opportunity to tell the authority off, but when I am in the wrong I would miss all the fun of telling them off, would I?

You are absolutely right about a bigger engine would do the job better, but then it gets into the argument that the whole point of powering bicycle is that one still wants and enjoys pedalling... otherwise we would have leave the deposit for the moped instead.

If not for the tinkering fun I think to transplant the complete rear end of a gas powered scooter, including engine, transmission, wheel and rear suspension would make the most sense, but then where is the fun? :devilish:

Last edited:
I was lucky when I lost my gas cap that the closet town had a Robin/Subaru dealer, $7.10 replacement. Else I would have had to seek out a place selling Kawasaki generators, (it happened before, on a Tanaka) $18.00.

Hope you take a list of repair spots in the area you are about to travel, just in case !!

Good luck, and keep posting here as you continue the project, it will be fun.

Will they hassle you regarding photography?

(With my knack for getting lost, if I tried such an adventure, I'd cross right over the North Korea border without knowing it.)

I was reading with interest about your plans for a trip over the mountians in China.

What kind of drive did you end up using? Maybe by now you have completed the trip, If so, would like to hear how it turned out.

JMO, you should be able to do the trek with Robin-Subaru, NuVinci, 2 dog power and pedal poweri, if it's not a race against time. Keep a length of rope so you can help pull the trike.

I would not consider friction drive for long distance.

would you consider using a 35cc Robin engine with a 25cc Robin decal?

Why are you bringing two large dogs with you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back