CVT questions

michael whiteman

Local time
3:40 AM
Looking into putting a 79cc Predator engine in a OCC frame. Considering a CVT transmission. I read all about them in an old thread from 2009. It appears that their output drive ratios run between 3 and 3.5 to 1 depending on the mfg. I assume when using the speed calculator one inserts the highest ratio (1to1) when determining top speed. Will you confirm this?

I want to use the fat tire it came with which is a 4.5 x 20. I have not measured this. Can I enter 20" in the box for tires, or do I need to measure the circumferance?

Any recomendations on a particular brand of CVT will be greatly appreciated from those in the know.
Thanks in advance. m

Looking into putting this engine in a OCC frame. Considering a CVT transmission. I read all about them in an old thread from 2008. It appears that their output drive ratios run between 3 and 3.5 to 1 depending on the mfg. I assume when using the speed calculator one inserts the highest ratio (1to1) when determining top speed. Will you confirm this?

I want to use the fat tire it came with which is a 4.5 x 20. I have not measured this. Can I enter 20" in the box for tires ? Or do I need to measure the circumferance?

Any recomendations on a particular brand of CVT will be greatly appreciated from those in the know. Thanks in advance. m
(RPM × Wheel Diameter × π) ÷ (1056 × Total Reduction) = MPH

Let's say you run a 212cc with the cvt and it top is 1\1 using a 10t\48t here's an example of the formula in use.

(3,600×20×π)÷(1,056×4.8)=44.6248956476

A 30 series torque convertor ranges from .9-3.3:1 depending on driven pulley size. I would only buy a Comet brand. Or Bravex brand.

I believe Bravex took over/ bought the Comet rights on the 30series torque converters. I got multiple of the Comet & the Bravex. I cant tell 1 from the other in a side by side comparison.
I had a brave centrifugal clutch on my mini bike I sold. It worked great. I overheated it a few times and it still worked like new.

(RPM × Wheel Diameter × π) ÷ (1056 × Total Reduction) = MPH

Let's say you run a 212cc with the cvt and it top is 1\1 using a 10t\48t here's an example of the formula in use.

(3,600×20×π)÷(1,056×4.8)=44.6248956476
Thanks Jerry. I need to measure the wheel circumference to determine the exact diameter.

Back