Segway compared to a MotoredBike

heres a couple more pics for the **** of it. It was definitely cool talking to him about all his past fights, I've been a huge fan of his since i first saw him fight that guy Big D in the Miami backyard...

DSC08102.jpg

DSC08105.jpg

DSC08114.jpg

DSC08140.jpg
DSC08141.jpg

back on topic, playing with Kimbo's segway:
DSC08122.jpg

DSC08120.jpg

you would be surprised how awesomely futuristic the segway is to ride. It's so intuitive it becomes an extention of your body. there is no throttle or brakes to control so all you havw to do is just lean in the direction you want to go. Very cool device, but he said he spent 6,000 on it...

And therein lies the problem with the Segway, for $6,000 I could build six custom motored bikes, each three different ways... maybe even just do three motored bikes, an E-bike, a GoPed GTR46i (for the Segway hover effect, just lean forward and it'll feel the exact same, but this will have much better suspension... see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW1HpzNlz9M ), and still prolly have money left over.

I'm just anti-battery right now. And I wish McCain's idea of giving away a $300 million grand prize to someone who can solve our battery issue would happen regardless of if he picks up enough swing voters in a select number of states to become Prez. I believe lots of our problems should be solved with grand prizes, honestly... it's quick, easy, & relatively cheap... or free if it just can't be done.

(OffTopic: WTF is wrong with our country and continuing to use the electoral college? As a Mississippian, my vote always magically turns into a vote for the Red Team no matter what. It's so undemocratic it makes me want to barf. I hate how my Grandfather always tells me this country's the greatest and there's nothing worth changing about it... just disgusting.

And what's wrong with McCain not having brought up legislation over a $300 Million reward for advanced battery tech before?? People have great ideas, but he could already be acting on them instead of waiting to become Prez.)

On most issues i tend not to agree with McCain, or the "red" side... but i do think that putting 300 million out there as an incentive to produce a new battery technology is a good idea; However, the money will probably end up in the hands of a large corporation since they are the only ones with the technology and funds to take on such a task.

I think he tries to elude to the fact that an individual will come up with some revolutionary battery, but i think that is highly dubious. There are multi billion dollar corporations working feverishly trying to improve battery technology, I doubt some guy in his backyard tool shed will be able to create a battery that will change the way America stores energy... But it is a step in the right direction nonetheless. But it is also kind of pathetic that we have to offer up a huge reward, but I guess cold hard cash is the best way to motivate Americans.

About the electoral college. It is complete bull**** I believe was devised as a way for the govt. to have more control over the vote, before it was as easy as it is today with voting machines to manipulate the vote. Apparently it was created to give smaller states a bigger voice, but this doesn't really seem necessary to me in the America we live in today.

We should all vote on an open source system where anyone can check the legitimacy of the votes cast. Everyone gets one vote and abolish the electoral college.

P.S. it's nice to hear of a clear thinker coming from such a historically unprogressive state as Mississippi.

In the case of the 2000 election, for instance, they would have argued over how to count "hanging chads" and "pregnant punches" nationwide, rather than just in Florida, if we did not have the Electoral College.

The real problem was that the election was so close that the "white noise" of voter error became important. And it would have been the same whether we had a direct popular vote or the "compartmentalization" that we do have.

The Electoral College isn't such a bad thing.

But since this has nothing to do with motor assisted bicycling, I'll move on.
See ya! :)

the 2000 election was fixed. There is overwhelming evidence that the votes were unfairly manipulated.

Back to battery technology.

There is a central issue in batteries, and it is immutable. It's called chemistry. It is a simple fact that there are theoretical limits to how much power can be stored chemically, and current battery technology comes very close to those limits. Batteries are chemical engines, in effect, and the power yielded by any given chemical reaction is easily measured. In addition, each charge/discharge cycle results in a certain proportion of the chemical reactants recombining in one or more of the possible reaction paths which is NOT rechargeable/reversible, and the batteries performance degrades over time.

Frankly, to make electcrically powered vehicles practical, the only technology now in development which holds much promise is fuel cells. Great advances have been made in those in recent years - one of the greatest being the development of fuel cells which can utilize carbon based fuels which are readily available, distribution infrastuctures already exist for, and which enormously increase fuel cells useability. Hydrogen is NOT a good fuel - the energy derived is low per unit, the gas requires expensive and difficult to implement technology too handle, and you still have to make the power used to produce the hydrogen gas, usually by electrochemical disassociation. In addition, hydrogen gas will leak through anything, even solid metals.

What is needed is a practical way to utilize zero-point vacuum energy. That's coming (it has already been laboratory demonstrated), but as to exactly when, it's anybodies guess.

I'm 52 years old - since I first became interested in energy systems, and alternative energy production methodologies, fusion power has always been "10-15 years from practicality". That has been 40 years now, and fusion is still "10-15 years" from implementation. Petrochemical and solid carbon based fuels (coal, mostly) are the relatively mature technologies, along with fission reactor systems. Each has its drawbacks, each has its costs, and here in the US, each causes NIMBY outcries anytime a new power generation station is proposed.

Yet, implementing electric vehicle systems, using currently available tech, will ENORMOUSLY increase the demand for electricity, which must come from somewhere. Don't tell me solar can handle the load demand - it cannot. In fact, if you look at the energy costs to produce solar cells vs the power they will produce over their projected lifespans in most environments, they are net energy consumers. There are ways to vastly improve those yeilds, and make them net energy producers, but such requires the implementation of a massive investment in problematic technologies. I'll leave that discussion to another time.

Face it - hydrocarbon using "engines", be they internal combustion, external combustion, or electrochemical reaction, are the best available for transportation purposes. HOW they are to be used is the real question. Personal automobiles, for almost all purposes, can be made that are ENORMOUSLY more efficient. So can "alternative" transportation methodologies. The fact is, the modern bicycle is far and away the single most efficient personal transportation system ever devised, bar none. Well built, they are more efficient than walking. Even using a gas engine as an "assist", they remain vastly more efficient than cars.

So - keep on MOTORING!

And while I think the $300 million reward is an awfully sweet gesture, I think it's not much more than just a gesture. I think most people know it'd be pretty hard to reach that goal. If it were possible, it would have been mass marketed in the 90s at least.

Fuel cells for life!! I wonder if the loss in converting energy to fuel cells is similar to the loss that Graucho was seeing by running hydrogen thru his bike(s)...

Last edited:
Back