Seat post - Laid back?

Rusty_S85

Local time
1:06 AM
Well I am at that stage I am researching the next components to buy. I really want to buy a laid back post and a straight post to give them each a try with the seat I'm going to buy. They aren't too expensive but my big problem is every laid back seat post I find will be the equivalent of having the seat raised up a good 4" above the seat tube.

This I don't think will work for me as with the bike up on the rear drop stand if I stand flat footed over the bike I am almost on top of the seat tube as it is. So if I go straight tube it will most likely be all the way down.

Question is do they make like a 90* laid back tube that would have good support but also not end up much higher than a straight tube set all the way down?

I ask because I am curious about seeing how it would feel if I was sitting a little further back vs sitting normally.

I know exactly what you mean. It's hard to find them without bracing and the bracing increases the height. The best I've found is this from Sportsman Flyer but it's the wrong sized tubing..!

I've given up looking and will just fab my own...

yeah, it would be a whole lot easier to walk into a store and just try a few demo models to see what works for your particular bike - got some here - too high, too far back, just not right and no real adjustment

Yep I found some nice ones they are a pipe with a flat piece of steel with a vertical pipe welded on the rear with a flat gusset that would in my opinion slip down between the grove cut in the seat tube. Down side is I haven't been able to find one in a 1" size to fit my seat tube on the frame. If I could I would so go with it if I could figure out a way to clamp it with it set all the way down in the groove.

Banana seat would do the trick but you've already got a seat...

I don't have a seat yet I have one picked out I want to go with to compliment my leather grips.

https://www.amazon.com/Velo-SD-Sadd...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8W2J3DZZVWAC5GW61TTK

That is the seat I'm looking at. I was looking at a more vintage hard leather seat but Id have to buy the real expensive one ($100+) to get one that will keep it shape. This one has more of a motorcycle seat look to it which I really am looking more at a tractor style seat just leather wrapped and I think this fits the bill perfectly.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Well now that is what I was talking about but all I could find was just the size below 1" but that one would work. Down side is if I were to slide it down all the way where the bar fits into the slot on my frame how would I lock it to the tube. I guess what I could do is slip the clamp on and drill a hole in the vertical gusset plate and run the clamp bolt through it to squeeze the tube that way to lock it on. Shouldn't weaken the gusset that much with it bottomed out all the way.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Well now that is what I was talking about but all I could find was just the size below 1" but that one would work. Down side is if I were to slide it down all the way where the bar fits into the slot on my frame how would I lock it to the tube. I guess what I could do is slip the clamp on and drill a hole in the vertical gusset plate and run the clamp bolt through it to squeeze the tube that way to lock it on. Shouldn't weaken the gusset that much with it bottomed out all the way.
Here is that post on a friends bike.View media item 60218

Back