Rear drum brake hub. Help!

Ok I kinda found out a lil info, sturmey archer is back logged on all drum brake hubs. I can get a 90mm front hub, but it's got the 6volt dynamo built in. Dont know if that's good or bad, just sounds like something else that can fail.

Ok I kinda found out a lil info, sturmey archer is back logged on all drum brake hubs. I can get a 90mm front hub, but it's got the 6volt dynamo built in. Dont know if that's good or bad, just sounds like something else that can fail.
All that Dynamo is is basically a DC motor and some magnets built into the hub that produces 6v at a certain rpm (although once you start going motorized bike speeds, that dynamo is gonna be producing 12V+ without a regulator)

All that Dynamo is is basically a DC motor and some magnets built into the hub that produces 6v at a certain rpm (although once you start going motorized bike speeds, that dynamo is gonna be producing 12V+ without a regulator)
I'm familiar with how the dynamo works, but will the dynamo burn up do to the increased speed & voltage from the increased speeds of a motor bike. Thanks. That hub has sealed wheel bearings & accepts 13gauge spokes max. But I believe I can drill spoke holes out on my hub for my 11gauge spokes.

I don't think the 6v Dynamo will burn out but it's gonna produce more electrical power at M/B speeds
So a 6 V bulb will burn out, You'll probably have to use a 12v bulb

What Mark20 said (y)

I don't think the 6v Dynamo will burn out but it's gonna produce more electrical power at M/B speeds
So a 6 V bulb will burn out, You'll probably have to use a 12v bulb

What Mark20 said (y)
It depends on the gauge of the wire in the coil windings. At 6v it can't be very big but I would need to disassemble one and measure the gauge. There will be a point at which the dynamo caps out on voltage (and thus current) but I don't know if that point is too high for the windings. Since there is an open circuit it shouldn't have much if any current in the windings. A bench test and disassembly is required to say for sure.

Back