Phantom 85 pipe suggestions

noah9988

Local time
1:29 AM
Getting a pipe for my phantom 85, what should I get? A jog pipe seems good, but I'm not sure if it's ideal to run a pipe made for a 50cc on an 85cc. Dirt bike pipe is also an option but I wonder if the header will be too short.

Getting a pipe for my phantom 85, what should I get? A jog pipe seems good, but I'm not sure if it's ideal to run a pipe made for a 50cc on an 85cc. Dirt bike pipe is also an option but I wonder if the header will be too short.
On a P-85, I wouldn't change the pipe at all...That pipe is made explicitly for and tuned for the P-85...Probably why it has fantastic low range torque and 50 MPH capability, stock, right out of the box....The P-85 motor is already quite extreme for a normal bike frame as it sits already.

Changing the exhaust 'may' ruin the low end torque this motor already has...I can go from a dead stop without pedaling if I wish and this bike just goes...80 to 90 pounds of bike and my lard butt sitting on it at 217 pounds...lol.

On a P-85, I wouldn't change the pipe at all...That pipe is made explicitly for and tuned for the P-85...Probably why it has fantastic low range torque and 50 MPH capability, stock, right out of the box....The P-85 motor is already quite extreme for a normal bike frame as it sits already.

Changing the exhaust 'may' ruin the low end torque this motor already has...I can go from a dead stop without pedaling if I wish and this bike just goes...80 to 90 pounds of bike and my lard butt sitting on it at 217 pounds...lol.
You're not wrong. I have a 32 tooth sprocket on mine so I can cruise it at higher speeds without revving the engine to 8k rpm. With that gearing I'm not worried about the low end power anyways. I want a chamber mostly because it's so fun when they hit, and also because I seem to have a deathwish, but that's neither here nor there.

You're not wrong. I have a 32 tooth sprocket on mine so I can cruise it at higher speeds without revving the engine to 8k rpm. With that gearing I'm not worried about the low end power anyways. I want a chamber mostly because it's so fun when they hit, and also because I seem to have a deathwish, but that's neither here nor there.
I still predict it will actually have a reduction in power if you change that exhaust, but I'm sure you will find out for sure...Let us know how it works out for ya...lol.

An 85cc dirt bike pipe is going to be the best go-to. KTM 85cc pipes seem to fit the best of all the ones I have seen so far. Otherwise, an mz65 spliced on to the stock exhaust head pipe right before the 90 into the muffler will also do a good job. A jog pipe reportedly works decently from 2 people that have done it.

Be prepared to have to upgrade the clutch if you do. Stock Phantom power is at the limit of the original CG clutch design and pads.

An 85cc dirt bike pipe is going to be the best go-to. KTM 85cc pipes seem to fit the best of all the ones I have seen so far. Otherwise, an mz65 spliced on to the stock exhaust head pipe right before the 90 into the muffler will also do a good job. A jog pipe reportedly works decently from 2 people that have done it.

Be prepared to have to upgrade the clutch if you do. Stock Phantom power is at the limit of the original CG clutch design and pads.
I got a cr80/85 pipe (I guess they're the same) on the way. It looks like the header pipe has a good bend to it that'll fit nicely.

If my clutch starts slipping, is there anything I can do about it without upgrading to an saf super clutch? That won't work on my bike because the pedals hit the springs.

I got a cr80/85 pipe (I guess they're the same) on the way. It looks like the header pipe has a good bend to it that'll fit nicely.

If my clutch starts slipping, is there anything I can do about it without upgrading to an saf super clutch? That won't work on my bike because the pedals hit the springs.
Change your pads, they just pop out and in.

Back