new Dax Titan 4-stroke

??what is the advantage of the 3 piece crank(from Dennis Foster) that is mentioned above?

There is no advantage to 3 piece crank. 3 piece crank only fits mountain bikes or bikes with smaller diameter bottom brackets. other fits most cruiser frames.

likemyspoiler, do you have pics of your setup? I have had my eye on that Honda GX50 for a while now, and your post is really making me anxious to get one. Also, more information and pics about that crank you mentioned would be great. Thanks for the info.

I wiil try to take some pics this weekend & post them. However I am using the 56 tooth sprocket on my wifes bike that came in kit with Honda GXH 50 engine. The first time she rode it she went by me & mouthed "holy ****" I must say I did not expect those speeds with 56 tooth sprocket. Its on a Nishiki mountain bike, however it was a very tight fit! The bike actually feels good at those speeds, However I did upgrade front to disc brakes.

There is no advantage to 3 piece crank. 3 piece crank only fits mountain bikes or bikes with smaller diameter bottom brackets. other fits most cruiser frames.

There actually are advantages to a 3 piece crank. Large sealed bearings, increased stiffness and yes, the CAN be fitted to ANY bottom bracket or ANY bike.

I have to agree with iRide...3 piece cranks are used on every high end bike I've ever seen....I can't recall ever seeing any real high quality 1 piece cranks....
Andrew

I guess I should reword what I stated in earlier post. Yes I would agree higher end bikes mostly have 3 piece crank, however I was referring to 4 stroke engine kits. They come with one or the other & the 3 piece crank set that comes in kit does not fit cruiser bikes. the bearing & cups that come with them are to small & fit mostly mountain bike frames. If want to make fit in cruiser frame must purchase adapter.I will say I used 1 piece crank in both my schwinn typhoons (from kit) & work fine. However when installed in motorbike they are used mainly for footpegs. The three piece crank that comes in kit really is no advantage as the quality of crank looks somewhat weak compared to 1 piece crank. That is what I meant when I said there is no advantage to 3 piece crank. I think that was the question I was asked. When using 4 stroke engine you must use wide crank to clear engine & trans on skyhawk frame mount kit. The way sprocket is mounted on 3 piece crank looks very weak. I used one on my wifes mountain bike because it was the only wide crank that would fit. So yes i would agree a three piece crank is better, but not the wide 3 piece crank that comes in engine kit. Man I should have said that to start with. Anyway thats what I meant when I said there is no advantage to 3 piece crank.

3 piece crank may be a little off topic ,,,, but interesting ,,

to get back on titan review ,is there any updates on the titan motor ?? auge was going to try one out and give us his opinion ,,

japat

Last edited by a moderator:
i have an older huffy "woodhaven" ready and waiting...i'm told to expect the titan soon:

Attachments

• MVC-799F.JPG
    MVC-799F.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 339
ok.. Here is the latest ...

I have a final template design. This morning I submitted it to Laser Manufacturing for Reverse Engineering and then Cost for Production . I hope to have approximate cost for production by tomorrow. I am confident that my simplistic design should help keep cost low. I will have them knock one out for me and then I can send Augi his test setup. Augi will provide feedback and any potential improvements to this design. I have two designs both using the same principle. The one I will be sending Augi is the same I am using with a new style bearing. I have only a few hundred miles using this new bearing. My Engine is the same one and has well over 1000 miles on it with no problems what so ever. I will be sending a new engine to Augi with a thumb choke instead of my cable operated one that I have which I consider to be a pain trying to choke my engine. I have tested some of the new engines on the bench with the thumb choke and they work much better than mine. On my engine when cold, I have to yank 10 times before my engine will light. With the new thumb choke, no matter how cold, they hit on the second pull. No kidding.. So..It must be that I can not choke mine all the way with my finger since it is a cable type. At any rate. Augi will have his soon. The sooner the better since Augi has a lot of experience and can provide a ton of feed back. This feedback will improve the fundamental design so that everyone can benefit from our input and changes made. It will take me 6-10 weeks to get all my new Titans 50cc motors in hand. The Engines are what I consider Ideal and need nothing and are a perfect match for a bicycle. They are long livers and very efficient. Now that I have over 1000 miles and my engine is broken in, my mileage is up from 105mpg city to almost 130mpg city. No kidding. As for top speed, I have hit 41.7 is my best. That is verified by Radar. I have a radar gun. That was going down hill by the way. Flat out 35mph is the norm, and again, I am at 9000 feet approximately. I have read that someone in here has hit 44mph with a honda version on their bike. I can tell you, 41.7 is super fast and really is not safe to do on a bicycle, except for a Mazi or LeMond road bike. On Those you can go 50mph or more safely. To go over 40mph on a mountain bike or other is super fast and dangerous at best. I feel safe at 32-35 mph which is right where this Titan will put you.. And ..It will do it all day long and not break a sweat. Keep in mind I am a Veteran bike with over 70,000 miles on one of my Street bikes alone. And..I have several. I have been to speeds of almost 150mph on motorcycles. I have been at speeds of 130mph for hours at a time, Germany Auto Bahnn Helibronn to Neu Ulm and Germany to France and other places.. Lived in Germany for Years by the way.. So.. I am no stranger to speed. I have heard that 150mph in the old days is now 200mph these days.. Not sure I believe that. Try going 120mph for an hour or so. At any rate.. 40mph plus on a bicycle is really fast for sure. Ok..Again..I am long on wind here. In Aggregate, Augi will have his soon. In 6-10 weeks from now.. Every one will be able to afford and buy one. And..with the price of oil expected to hit 200usd a barrel... Well.. Just in time..... Oil is 90usd a barrel now.. So.. Even if oil does hit 200usd a barrel, and a gallon of gas hits 5 or 6usd , you can fill up your motor assisted bike now for 75cents. At 6usd a gallon, it will cost you 1.50 to fill up.. And you can go 40 miles on a .25 gallon tank.. no kidding. I will look into a larger half gallon tank.. but..Even with they tanks they have, you can go a long way for sure.. Enjoy the ride...

I loved your last point regarding the ever-increasing cost of gas and
I hate giving money to Oil Companies, especially the ones abroad! But refueling my motorbike at the gas station is almost fun. I like the way their heads tilt to one side with a questioning look on their face. Kinda like when your dog doesn't understand what your saying. I am concerned that when the rest of American society catches on and this wonderful pastime of ours becomes the norm, that the government/corporate America will find a way to get their piece of the pie. They always do. Other then that, God Bless America and your new motor!

Back