My friction build (attempted)

I'm putting together a friction drive at the mo with a Honda 35 engine & this kit,on a dual-suspension Giant MTB.See if u can get any ideas from their website(FAQ's etc)
If necessary order parts,their good ppl to deal with.The correct tyre pattern is pretty important.
http://bikemotorparts.com/index.html

Made some changes

Ok, First of all I would like to thank everyone for their input. It was definitely helpful and I took it all into consideration. I am glad I did. The set up I have now works better in my opinion. But guess what... I can see that there will need to be more mods in the future. The thing I am most happy about is now my gas tank is mounted upright. I can use it to its full potential. Before when it was on its bottom it had air in the tank. There was no way to fill it completely due to its shape. Now I can also carry my 20 oz bottle around with me and fill it on long rides. Never know when I will need back up fuel. Also it makes it easier to fill any time... Well im taking notes so blast away at my new design.

Attachments

• DSCN1121.rszd.jpg
    DSCN1121.rszd.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 261
  • DSCN1122.rszd.jpg
    DSCN1122.rszd.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 309
  • DSCN1123.rszd.jpg
    DSCN1123.rszd.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 320
  • DSCN1124.rszd.jpg
    DSCN1124.rszd.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 257
  • DSCN1125.rszd.jpg
    DSCN1125.rszd.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 334
1. Attach a spring-loaded lever to your engine pivot. Its default position will have the engine off the tire. Pulling up on the lever presses the roller securely onto the tire.

Similar to a hand brake/parking brake.

2. Change to a road tire.

replied

Did u make that concave drive roller yourself....is it rubber?

Yes I made that myself. I got the idea from the forum, It is made using a hole saw and a hockey puck. I drilled two out of the puck then drilled the center holes. The center is a steel rod and i put threads on with a die. I put a washer then both cutouts and a final washer with a nut to get it squished. I then used grinder while i spun the rod to get the concave.

1. Attach a spring-loaded lever to your engine pivot. Its default position will have the engine off the tire. Pulling up on the lever presses the roller securely onto the tire.

Similar to a hand brake/parking brake.

2. Change to a road tire.

1. Will try to rig that up soon... I like the idea

2. Advice noted. Will implement when this tire wears.

Last edited:
Back