Hydraulic power booster

The second law of Thermodynamics. The law of Entropy states that nothing can be 100% efficient in trying to create work. This is why perpetual motion is impossible.

When I was a kid I thought you could put a generator on a wheel and charge a battery going down hill and have enough to get you up the next. The harsh slap of reality.

The second law of Thermodynamics. The law of Entropy states that nothing can be 100% efficient in trying to create work. This is why perpetual motion is impossible.

When I was a kid I thought you could put a generator on a wheel and charge a battery going down hill and have enough to get you up the next. The harsh slap of reality.
Even at 100% you'll never gain anything.

Like your example, even if you captured 100% of the wheel's rotating energy and had a 100% efficient motor, you still wouldn't make it because drag from the tires and wind was not captured on the descent.

Exactly, friction from all it's many sources can't be overcome.

Remember those perpetual motion machines that were made from a wheel studded with magnets? There was an arm with a magnet attached that would move in and out causing the wheel to spin. Ta da, perpetual motion.
Only problem was the arm needed outside energy to move it in and out. Without that outside force the thing would stop spinning due to friction bringing it to a halt.

Chalk this up to ignorance, I've never heard of a hydraulic motor. Heard of pump and hydraulic switch to change direction of fluids.

Chalk this up to ignorance, I've never heard of a hydraulic motor. Heard of pump and hydraulic switch to change direction of fluids.
Hydraulic motors are very common, 99% of all mobile hydraulic equipment use hydraulic propulsion because the power is already there to use (also winch drums, rotation assemblies, trencher stingers and much more use hydraulic motors)

They are largely inefficient and why you'll never see a passenger vehicle use them.

Wouldn't steam powered motors also be considered "hydraulic motors" as well???...lol.

Steam locomotives, steam powered cars like Stanley Steamers, as well as those early steam powered motorised bicycles.

Wouldn't steam powered motors also be considered "hydraulic motors" as well???...lol.

Steam locomotives, steam powered cars like Stanley Steamers, as well as those early steam powered motorised bicycles.
That's interesting, coal fired to heat the water to steam. How the heck does steam/gas power all that steel drive train? Fluid I can comprehend, but steam?

Back