howdy - intro post

brens_gbikes

Local time
5:45 AM
hi this is Bren, I'm here in north DFW texas. I built a gbike recently so, here I am :cool:

20231109_154249.jpg

here's my bike, (or i should say my first bike, this is exactly the kind of thing that I could get highly addicted to), I found her in a dumpster and fixed her up. It's a kent bayside 26", I put on a zeda. I'm still working out the kinks and what not but it's hopefully getting there. It runs at least, i've been tracking down vacuum leaks and what not but I think i figured it out and will go test it tomorrow to see if it runs better. Glad I'm running 16:1 break in oil because she's been running pretty lean! i hope it's not hurt. the engine's got maybe 45mins on it so far.

20231112_155155.jpg

anywho it looks like a lot of yall have the experience that i am gonna need to draw from, looking forward to the conversating,

-Bren

hi this is Bren, I'm here in north DFW texas. I built a gbike recently so, here I am :cool:

here's my bike, (or i should say my first bike, this is exactly the kind of thing that I could get highly addicted to), I found her in a dumpster and fixed her up. It's a kent bayside 26", I put on a zeda. I'm still working out the kinks and what not but it's hopefully getting there. It runs at least, i've been tracking down vacuum leaks and what not but I think i figured it out and will go test it tomorrow to see if it runs better. Glad I'm running 16:1 break in oil because she's been running pretty lean! i hope it's not hurt. the engine's got maybe 45mins on it so far.

anywho it looks like a lot of yall have the experience that i am gonna need to draw from, looking forward to the conversating,

-Bren
Hi Bren...That grey-white looking plug is definitely running too lean...And lean means way too hot...Can you tell me on what notch you have the needle valve C clip on???

Slide Needle Grooves.JPG

well it's still on the stock setting, the middle slot. however I think the issue may be a bone head mistake. When I went to pull the plug to have a look at it, it was only tightened maybe a quarter turn, if that. after that it was finger loose! and there was oil on the top of the head around the spark plug hole! I forgot to tighten the spark plug all the way down :eek: I checked and re tightened every other bolt on the thing, except for the lightning bolt 😭 I would have tightened it up and tested again after cooling down, except for that when i got done with my test run, the tire immediately went flat and I didn't have time to change the tube. I'm gonna have to figure something out on the tires, the tube blew 2 days in a row 😤

basically i haven't messed with the carb settings yet because I'm still hunting down that vacuum leak. Hopefully I've found it ...😅 and hopefully the jug isn't damaged 🙏

the tire immediately went flat and I didn't have time to change the tube. I'm gonna have to figure something out on the tires, the tube blew 2 days in a row 😤
These are the only tubes I ever use.

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-30046-Self-Sealing-Schrader-1-75-2-125/dp/B000ENQRCI?th=1

And I also use these Kevlar tires.

https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Comfort-Glide-Bike-Tires/dp/B0012RJSXK?th=1&psc=1

Stock tires and tubes are complete junk on these motorised bikes...lol.

basically i haven't messed with the carb settings yet because I'm still hunting down that vacuum leak. Hopefully I've found it ...😅 and hopefully the jug isn't damaged 🙏
Remove the carburetor from the intake manifold tube and look inside the carburetor and see if there is an O ring where the end of the intake tube makes contact inside the carburetor...If it's missing, take the carby with you down to O'Rielly's Autoparts and tell them your looking for a Viton O ring to fit right in there.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Be sure with those tires and tubes that you inflate them to ONLY 38 to 40PSI, NOT the 60 PSI written on the tire...Going three and four times the speed of a regular pedal bike heats up the air molecules in the tire and will actually blow out due to the heat expansion of those molecules to an over inflated situation...Always inflate tires only when cold for a COLD PSI setting I already mentioned above.

yea, it came with an o ring. I had to machine down the intake manifold to sit flush on the o ring. it might not be perfectly flat, i may take it back off and try to get it flatter. I added a little bit of fuel safe gasket maker between the carb and the manifold, i'm still suspicious of that joint. I'm hopeful that it will run right if I fix the head leak from the spark plug hole ... thanks for the tip on the tubes, i will def get some of those. if it still doesn't hold I'll get different tires, i just put on some new schwinn tires. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XZ2OJ0?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1)

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Those tires advertise that they DO have kevlar in them so they should be fine...Be sure you have rim liners as well as making sure there are no sharp edges in the rim well or the walls surrounding the tire and tube on the rim as well, have a nice file ready incase you do find any burrs...lol.

Its a good idea to inspect the blown tube to find exactly where it blew so as to aid you in finding the possible cause.

here's the rim liners i have on there https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097TYWFMX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

the two tubes blew out in 2 different locations, on the side. the first one may have been a pinch, it held up for a long time in the original tire, i didn't swap the tube when i changed to the new tires. maybe that's why it blew. the second one I think just failed at the seam because it was a cheap piece of trash lol. but yea i'm gonna order those heavy duty tubes

Back