Florida Legal to ride. All you need to know

Your original point, I believe, was that you were stating that a moped isn't considered a motor vehicle and suggested a registration statute to back it up.
I understand the confusion, but I did explain that in terms of licensing requirements, it IS considered a motor vehicle.
Now for those looking for the "title 49" requirements, that was the next step.
I'm personally not sure what those requirements are and that's why I was asking the question above....

NOW, if your saying the "grey area" is what those exact requirements are, I have to agree with you...
But that does not take away from the fact that for licensing requirements, they are motor vehicles and you do need a drivers license to operate them on public roads.

I will see if I have time tomorrow to call the DMV and ask them where I can find the title 49 requirements for mopeds in the federal statutes. (Or, at least, what THEY determine the requirements are)

Facts of the matter are..
1.) There IS a procedure to register as a moped.
2.) It IS REQUIRED that the operator has a drivers license to operate on the public roads.
These are not in contention.
Sometimes it is better to leave sleeping dogs lie.

My original reply was in response to your quest for Title 49 safety regulations as they apply to mopeds. My questioning whether they are motor vehicles was to engage in a discussion as to whether inspection stations are looking for safety equipment as required by Federal laws for motorcycles, or whether they are good with safety equipment as would be required on bicycles. No question on licensing reqirements, nothing grey there as Florida law is cut and dried in that area. And yes the statutes deem mopeds as motor vehicles for the purpose of drivers licensing requirements.

Back